The Loft

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Shooting up into the flared light of the square window, what I especially like about this shot are the choices I made in post in terms of what is seen, what is unseen, and what is barely seen. Photographers have been taking shots like this since there have been cameras. But, nonetheless, this has a graphic appeal that holds my attention. I did a slight sepia toning to warm the image a touch and because it lends the image a sense of time out of the past. While I didn’t want to make too big a deal of it, if you look closely – letting your eyes adjust to the light on the right side of the frame – you can see some of the things that have been stored and most likely, long forgotten.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I decided to take the risk and ascend the creaky stairs of this old barn for a peek into the loft above. As soon as my eyes were above the floor line, this is what I saw. Without my tripod, confronted by the ridiculous dynamic range, and still standing on the stairs, I just put my camera on the floor in front of me, tilted it back using a bit of one-by-two lying conveniently within reach, and hoped for the best.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 4.44.23 PM

Specific Feedback

Do you find that this picture holds your eye? I’d be interested in what emotional impact, if any, it evokes in you.

Kerry, the graphic detail here is very striking. I’m especially attracted to the illusion of there being a reflection as the light hits the angled rafters at the very top. However, I’m moving this to Non-Nature because of the WC guidelines (Non-Nature images are not permitted in this category unless noted otherwise.).

You can move it if you wish, @Mark_Seaver Mark, but I would point out that in the invitation to this week’s weekly challenge it specifically mentioned architecture as a possible subject - "From the towering majesty of a centuries-old tree to the awe-inspiring architecture of a skyscraper, let your lens reveal the hidden beauty and grandeur that often goes unnoticed. " So, to me anyway, this image seems perfectly legitimate right where it is. Still, I leave it to you to decide.

Kerry, Here’s the description of this week’s Challenge. “Weekly Challenge #1091 (05/28/23 - 06/03/23) From Below - An image where you were looking up at the subject. (Please no images dominated by the sky.)”. Where did you get your description?

@Mark_Seaver - From here:

WOW! I’ll have to ask David about this, since it’s not what I wrote.

David used an AI to “enhance” the description…so I’m moving this back to the WC.

Aha! The insidious nature of the dreaded A.I. :crazy_face: I admit, I was quite surprised by the seeming inclusion of architecture but jumped at the chance to maybe sneak something non-landscape into WC.

Awesome!! This sort of thing is a challenge both to capture and present. The darker tones are handled just right and I love the off-kilter perspective distortion. I can see the old furniture, but it is appropriately subtle. You captured a wonderful ghostly glow around the door frame and through the wider slats.