It's all about the light

Image 1, 2021

Image 2, 2021

Image 3, 2022

Image 4, 2022

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Compare the images individually and as pairs, as well as the group of four.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I have driven past this old elevator many times, never in favorable light. This time, in June 2021, it was spectacularly lit, I spent as much time here as the light allowed. It displays as well in color as monochrome. It’s always all about the light.
I revisited this old grain elevator in July 2022 and was blessed with good light and interesting skies. I focused on a different perspective to achieve a different image from what I recorded previously.

Technical Details

2021: Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 16-35mm @ 16mm; f/11 @ 1/320 sec ISO 250;
2022: Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 16-35mm @ 23mm; f/ 8 @ 1/1250 sec, ISO 400;
Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55, remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Which year/rendition is most appealing to you. Why?

Excellent, Bob. It doesn’t look like it decayed any further between 2021 and 2022. Makes me wonder if it’s still standing. I prefer the B&W to the color-it just seems to suit the subject more.

My initial thoughts as asked (this is my first critique).

Image #1 - the odd building (grainery?) is certainly a worthwhile subject, and the scene’s color is pleasing. I didn’t notice the clouds at first, but they look to me as a if a storm is blowing in (or maybe a long shutter?), yet there is light throughout the subject with no apparent shadows from the clouds. The structure is facing to the left which does not please my eye initially.

Image #2 - I think this image works better than the color because of the clouds, but I am still thrown off by the leftward-facing building. The building is more interesting to me than #1 because of the lack of color.

Image #3 - the structure faces the right way for my eye, but it seems to be slightly underexposed to me and less interesting than 1 and 2.

Image #4 seems too light, and the lack of color detracts from the overall scene and makes it less interesting than all the others.

Overall, I enjoy #2 the most. The cut grain fields behind the structure in #1 and #2 help me understand what the building is. The clouds in #2 give the place an ominous feeling, as if it is well past its time. The other images don’t give that impression.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank for your observations. I wouldn’t expect to see much difference in one year, unless the structure collapses. I checked last year, it was still standing but the weather/light was unfavorable for photography.
I specifically made this image with every intent to convert to B&W, to be included in a long-term personal project. I shoot in color and process in color originally. When I convert a copy of the file to B&W I process it as if I was using one or more filters on the lens to achieve the best rendition. An Ansel Adams idea.

Thank you @Greg_Morris for your exhaustive efforts. I chose different perspectives, R/L, because the appearance of the structure are so different—one side is more dilapidated than the other. The quality and color temperature of the light determines the appearance of the images. All were made with full intent to be converted to B&W. Some people like to see the direct comparisons of the two renditions

If I have to pick one, the first monochrome image stands out as the most striking to me. The black and white treatment enhances the textural details and the dramatic interplay between light and shadow, which accentuates the architectural character and the stark beauty of the scene. It speaks louder about the history and the raw aesthetic, which seems to resonate well with the authenticity of the subject. The high contrast and the depth it adds to the clouds also contribute to a more compelling and emotionally charged atmosphere. It’s a rendition that feels both classic and powerful, inviting a deeper narrative that’s hard to look away from. Love the old grain elevator what a find, nice work Bob!

Thank you @Saundie for your input. I must confess the first monochrome is also my favorite for the same reasons. My ulterior motive in posting is to determine if my assessment is shared by others who know what they are looking at—talented, knowledgable photographers. It is included in one of my personal projects “Derelict Structures” that I will publish as a coffee table book.

1 Like

Is “Derelict Structures ” available on this site Bob? Would love to see it.

Thank you @Saundie for your interest . The book Derelict Structures is not yet published. There is a sub-gallery on my website titled “Derelict Structures” which is a compilation of images from which I will select the images to be included in the book. Here is a link to the gallery: https://www.faucherphotography.com/gallery/derelict-buildings/all/
When you click the link you will be given options of how you want to open it. Right-click and choose Open Link in New Window

There are currently 90 images in the gallery. I will wait until 100 or more images to choose from before I begin the process of assembling the book.

1 Like

Derelict Structures contains some truly remarkable images, Bob. Your work in documenting these soon-to-vanish structures is not only commendable but serves as a valuable record for future generations. Do you happen to have any historical context about these buildings? The photo titled ‘Obsolete’ particularly resonated with me. Fantastic work!

Thank you @Saundie for your kind remarks. I have been capturing those images for nearly two decades. Because I choose to drive to my scheduled destinations for photography I have opportunities to encounter these structures. If I cannot stop I make note of where to return. I intend to process them as monochrome because it gives me the opportunity to develop more skill in B&W managing forms, shadows and textures, which also aids my field work for color imagery.
Most of the time these structures are desolate, but there have been a small number where the owners are close. When I encounter the owners I ask for permission to photograph their property and sometimes they invite me onto the property. The stories they tell about their buildings are fascinating. I show them the images you just viewed so that they are assured I am legitimate. Then I offer to make a print of their building and mail it to them when I return home. I advise them about how long it may take because I am often on the road for months. No one has ever refused my offer.
The owners personal histories are the only historical context I have unless the structure is on public land and there is a history posted nearby. In addition, I look for published historical information about the structures. The information I glean I attach to the image(s) as part of the description. The Hi-Line Relics and Scenic Township images are good examples of that.
Capturing “Obsolete” was memorable. Cold, rainy day. I stopped along the side of the road with my daughter to evaluate the scene. Local sherif pulls up and threatens me with a citation—my left tires were not completely off the road i.e. the white line marking the extent of the traffic lane. I moved the vehicle the mandatory inches to the right and he drove off feeling very important.