Outlived its Usefulness

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Can you guess why it is out of use?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

The old Greely elevator at Windham, Montana. In most cases, the term “grain elevator” also describes the entire elevator complex, including receiving and testing offices, weighbridges, and storage facilities. These facilities were designed to stockpile or store grain and present access to distribution. Rail access was critical when this facility was built. The advent of the highway system and large tractor-trailer combinations provided better access to more destinations rendering these facilities obsolete.

Technical Details

iPhone 13 Pro Max; 1.57-9mm @ 5.7mm; f/1.5 @ 1/3400 sec, ISO 50; handheld

Specific Feedback

Can you relate?

I like this, Bob. The slightly harsh light seems to fit the scene well. Interestingly, it looks as if the rail line in the foreground might still be in use, but the one nearer the Elevator looks as if it is weed grown (hard to be sure from the perspective).

Thank you @Dennis_Plank for your observations. Yes, the track nearest to the elevator is a spur to allow the cars to be loaded to have close proximity to the elevator downspouts. It is out of service. The foreground track is still in use.

Hi Bob - Great image. I really like old grain elevators like this. There’s something about their metallic, silvery appearance that I find compelling. As to your question, I don’t really know why so many grain elevators like this have gone out of use, but my guess would be that new technologies have made them obsolete. Just a guess.

Now looking at your comments… Can I relate? Do you mean to being obsolete? :laughing: Sometimes, I guess, but I do love remnants of past industries like this. Montana is full of them, whether they’re grain elevators like this one or old mining infrastructure. It’s all very interesting. Thanks for sharing the image!

Thank you @John_Kilgour for your interest and comments. I believe I posited a probable reason the “Image Description”—highway and trucking proliferation and convenience.—your guess of new tech rendering them obsolete.
Urban people, independent of their age, have no idea and appreciation for these structures and their role in the growth of the nation. In their opinion it is all “fly over” land.