Waiting for Work

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Feel like a cowboy, ready go on a cattle drive?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

A mid-sized holding corral, complete with a smaller, attached corral with loading chute, stands on a small section of a vast ranch in Montana. It will not see use again until the separated and prepared cattle are ready to transport.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 16-35mm @ 25mm; f/10 @ 1/40 sec, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55, remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Whatever you think, positive or otherwise.

A nice composition, Bob. I’ve seen lots of setups like this scattered around the west and just a few in use.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank for your remarks. These facilities are only in use when the steer are separated, prepared and readying for shipping. The rest of the year they are abandoned.

I like panoramas and I like this one for its simplicity and the atmosphere of emptiness and maybe loneliness. Somehow the clear sky fits, but I wish you’d come back on a day when a thunderstorm just passed over this. and left some magnificent clouds over this scene. But don’t get me wrong - it is great for what it is. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you @holgermischke for your positive remarks. Yes, some clouds would be a welcome addition, but not on this particular day. I do not live anywhere near this spot so I was compelled to deal with the conditions as presented.

1 Like