Where's Wyatt + rework

I’m roaming through Eastern Oregon looking for interesting subjects. I came across this corral by the side of the road which I thought I might share.

D810, 24-70@24mm, f/22, 1/8 sec, iso 64

f/22 seems a bit extreme but that’s what’s recorded.

Here’s a b&w version of it.

I really like the color version Igor until I saw your B&W version. The fence is a great lead in to the old barn. I like this a lot. My only minor nit is that I wish there was a little more detail in the cloud in the center, upper sky.

A great image Igor, this image should be in a tutorial on how to compose images with a wide-angle lens, this composition is just so well thought out and executed. It’s like a series of concentric rings, really neat looking.

I prefer the color version over the B&W. The WB in the color version looks great, very watm and inviting. In the color version there is also more interesting color separation in the green and yellow grasses, and of the yellow lichen on the fence, and these things create more visual interest for me. I suppose you could do another B&W conversion where you alos get some separation in the grass as well, based on colors in the original image. I do really like how the barn and inner corral look in the B&W version, I guess it’s primarily the grass and outer fence that feel less strong to me in the B&W.

Nicely composed with excellent depth and balance. I think the BW rendering fits the subject matter better.

What a great find, Igor! I am really enjoying the B&W as it looks like a classic scene from the west. The fence makes for the perfect lead in line and the clouds have more texture and detail in the B&W. I particularly like the details in that main building. I only have two minor suggestions; clone out that triangle shaped bright spot along the right side and get rid of the irregular light shape just to the right of the top of the roof of the larger building. Beautifully done.

I like both renditions, Igor. I don’t have any preference one over the other. I think either one is appropriate for the scene. The slight green/cyan tint in the color version makes it look like taken on film.

@Eva_McDermott, I’m not sure if this is what you’re referring to. There is a semicircular ring in the area of the clouds you mentioned. This was not in the original raw file. My theory is that as a moved the brush across the image to reach the scroll bar PS interpreted it as a dodge at that area and dodged the sky. Why it’s semicircular rather than circular, however, I have no idea. I took care of that. If you look at the OP you can see it.

@Ed_Lowe, I burned in the triangle and desaturated it to remove the blue. I erased the section of the roof on the right.

@Ed_McGuirk, this was primarily a keeper for me for it’s composition more than anything else. I have little emotional attachment to corrals other than from watching Westerns growing up (which I suppose plays a significant role in one’ life). The shot through the fence is something I’ve seen used repeatedly in Westerns and I guess it left a mark on me.

@Dave_Dillemuth, the b&w was a secondary addition to the post with very little work. I agree that the texture could be revved up in b&w to make the wood stand out more. What I don’t like is that there isn’t enough tonal separation between fg fence and grass/dirt. I feel that’s necessary and a difficult task.

Thanks you, @Adhika_Lie

Here is the updated version with the suggestions provided. Thank you all.

Igor,

For me, this is a story telling image - and a great one at that. It’s not about light, graphics, shapes, lines, etc., so therefore the color version is the one. Granted, I think the b&w version is done very well, it looks great (I might suggest a Sepia application for a nostalgic look…)

But the story is about the “big sky country” and a way of life in the west. This could be eastern Oregon, Washing, or Idaho, Montana… The color version shows the weathered gray poles for fencing - including the colorful lichen. the green grasses of the big sky prairie and of course the red, weathered wood of the leaning barn… the corral and the big sky (despite the 20% space…) at least for me, the b&w doesn’t convey the story - only the era.

Your repost looks great. I guess if I’m going with the nostalgic, time-era presentation, I guess I should suggest cloning out the blue canopy in the background between the upfront buildings. Not a big deal, but I’m so enthralled with the old west, mountain prairie story…

A rare occasion that I spent zero time looking for dust bunnies. color casts or border patrol. I think that says something.

Lon

For some reason I hadn’t thought of that. I think getting rid of that altogether is a good idea. BTW, that’s not a canopy but the roof of some shed. A blue one at that.

Also, nobody has noticed that the barn and other building seem to be leaning a bit to the left. At least that’s how it’s looking to me at midnight tonight.