The Majestic Peaks of the Canadian Rockies

This image is from last spring but one that I just recently processed. I visited this spot three weekends in a row then to get any kind of light. More often than not, these peaks were so engulfed in the thick clouds that they weren’t even visible.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

2 seconds at f/11, ISO100. 137mm on full frame.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Great Photo Tom. The color of the sky and mountains are excellent. I would see if a little more contrast would help and maybe adjust the foreground trees shadows a bit. However, I am drawn to the mountains and the sky very well so maybe increasing the shadows a bit may not be needed.

1 Like

Hi Tom,

This is a stunning sky and mountain range. I’m a big fan of your colour processing.

My only nit is that the upper far right has a brighter spot which pulls my attention slightly away from the middle of the mountain range.

1 Like

Beautiful light and scene. No suggestions here.

1 Like

Love the light and color Tom. Your composition takes me right to the mountains.

1 Like

Thank you @Harley_Goldman, @Eva_McDermott, @Nathan_Klein, and @Dean_Salman for taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate your feedback!

Gorgeous Tom! I love the rich color, and what a beautiful range. The foreground anchors it all very well, and I like your crop. The only thing puzzling my eye is how white the snow is centrally, yet there is color on both sides. I would have expected it to tone the snow throughout?? Maybe there was something blocking the color reflection that I can’t see in the image?

1 Like

Hi John and thanks for your comments! This image was shot at sunrise and there were quite a lot of low clouds to the east. They are the reason there isn’t that much colour in the center part of the image. The pinkish light in this image lasted maybe a couple minutes and the rest of the day was rather gray.

1 Like

Tom, this is really beautiful. Moments like these in landscape photography are special things, you were very blessed. I love the light and color here too, it’s a very special moment in time. My most recent flying photo trip was to the Lake Louse / Icefields parkway in mid-September 2019. The peaks were engulfed in clouds for most of my trip too, but I had two special mornings, one at Waterfowl Lake, the other at Herbert Lake that I will not soon forget. Your image here brings back fond memories of that trip, thanks for sharing it here.

1 Like

Looks like your persistence and patience paid off Tom. This is a wonderful photo. The colors amazing. It has such a serene feeling to it, makes me want to be there.

1 Like

Thank you @Ed_McGuirk and @linda_mellor!

Ed, it makes me happy that I was able to bring back some memories for you. :slight_smile:

Tom,
Well I have to say this was well worth waiting three weekends to capture as this has some exquisite color and drama in the sky to compliment those snow covered peaks. The layering also works very nicely in this scene. No suggestions from me.

1 Like

Thank you Ed, much appreciated!

Stunning light here Tom. The colors really stand out and look relatively natural to me. I really love the glow on the very right side of the mountain peak. Just the right amount of definition and light in the foreground trees. Would like just a smidge more canvas at the bottom as it looks like the trees have been cut off a little bit and the frame feels tight down there but not much. Might be some distractions though. Before the Virus my family was planning on going to Banff, Jasper and glacier national parks in late June this year but we just canceled everything. This image makes me miss my trip already! Beautiful Tom!

Thank you David!
It’s too bad that you had to cancel your trip and I hope you can come when this is over.
They actually fully closed the national parks yesterday because there were so many people out and about on the weekend and many trailheads and parking lots were jam packed. Too bad that some people just don’t get it.