Kananaskis

This is an image from late September in the Canadian Rockies. I was out shooting a sunrise timelapse sequence but I couldn’t help my self to also shoot a few stills after I had finished.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I am most interested in opinions and suggesting regarding the processing as it is the main area that I’d really like to improve in.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
4 Likes

This is such a beautiful scene, Tom, I can see why you couldn’t help yourself but capture some stills. Love the lighting, and that stream running through the scene.

1 Like

A great autumn scene. With regard to the processing: looks fine to me. I’m hesitating about a slight crop from the lower edge, to let the stream flow to the corner of the image.

1 Like

A truly gorgeous morning indeed. I agree that the processing looks spot on to me. The river/stream’s exit doesn’t bother me, but I would tend to crop from the left for closer to a 4x5 aspect. All of the focus for me is weighted more toward the right.

Thanks for sharing!!

1 Like

Thank you for your comments everyone! I didn’t end up doing very much to this image in post - just a little exposure blending to get rid of some hot clouds, a small boost in the mid-tone clarity, and some very minor dodging and burning. If fact, I felt that I did so little that I had a nagging feeling that I didn’t do all that I could have…
Anyway, I played around with the crop, so I’d be curious what you guys think.

I like the crop but the original is also good for me. I think the decision would be how you frame it when you print it

1 Like

Processing looks good to me. I think I prefer the original.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Beauty of a photo you got here! I really like the original crop best, feels more open and lets your eyes wander through the image instead of it being kind of stuck.

One thing I might change would be adding a bit of a vignette to only the lower corners of the photo, to lead the eyes a bit more.

1 Like

I prefer the wider look in the first posted image.

1 Like

Tom, this is a wonderful scene. Being a bit late and having the benefit of seeing both versions I prefer the original. I see nothing to add or change on the processing. Nicely done, I need to visit Banff in the fall…maybe next year!

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I’ve been going back and forth on this one and in the end I still prefer my original crop so I’m going to stick with it. The second crop focuses my attention on the mountains, which is great, but it feels too confining.

@Alan_Kreyger, you definitely should come to see Banff! The fall colour season is usually quite short but so beautiful!

Tom,
The processing looks just fine to me and while both versions would work I prefer the original. It just has a more open feel to it IMO. Glad you decided to catch a few stills as this is a grand view for sure.

1 Like

Gorgeous Tom!

Processing is outstanding and I have no nits or suggestions. Love this as presented!

Lon

1 Like

Thank you @Ed_Lowe and @Lon_Overacker for your comments! I very much appreciate it!