The next mighty oak

After a very light rain today I went out looking for droplets on fallen leaves. Not a lot of luck there, but sprouting acorns were plentiful. This is from an aptly-named Blue Oak. Most of the leaves are from a neighboring Oregon White Oak. After I shot it, I planted it. The voles will probably eat it and the hawks will probably eat the voles. If I spend enough time outside I may get another picture of the food chain. (I flushed a Great Blue Heron but had a macro lens and missed a good takeoff.)

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, Canon 100mm macro, focus stack at f/10, ISO 400, 1/40 sec. Minimal processing otherwise.

3 Likes

An excellent closeup image, Diane. The detail throughout is extremely well captured and the processing seems spot on. The image provides a bit of a story and ties in with your perfect title here too… :+1:

I love the way the leaf has curled around the acorn or the acorn has slipped into that embrace. Either way it’s a nice touch. Are any other parts of the Blue oak blue? I ask because Red maples have something red on them most of the time - starting with flowers in spring, then leaf stems then the leaves themselves. This is a nice look at regeneration - whether the voles/hawks food chain or the tree itself. It all goes back to the earth.

An excellent detailed image of the leaves and acorn. The leaf color, textures and lines look great and the acorn makes a fine focal point. I might clone or burn the bit of leaf in the LRC?

Thanks everyone! @Kris_Smith, the leaves are a sort of dull bluish-green and not a pretty shape. The two lighter leaves in the lower corners would be from that tree. It is spreading and can get very large. Our neighbor has a huge, glorious specimen that has been estimated to be over 250 years old.

@Harley_Goldman, I might too if I had noticed it! Consider it done!

Love the gentle colors and feel of this wonderful photo, Diane. And the acorn being hugged by the leaf adds a tender touch, as @Kris_Smith said. The details and composition, at least for me, are spot on. Very nicely seen.

There’ so much detail in this image that can take hours to absorve all of it.
The embrace of the leaf as Kristen said, the velvety look of the leaves against the soft and colder look of the sprout skin even the little details on all the leaves themselves.
Beautifully captured and processing. And glad you planted it, maybe next year you’ll have a surprise, that would be interesting to shot.

Cheers

What a treat, Diane. I also love the title. It takes a long time for an oak to grow, but they are very touch trees. Not sure what has been going on here at NPN, but some of the images haven’t wanted to open (or even show at times), but when I first opened yours up, all I had was the comments, the image was missing. Now it opened just fine. I even tried a different browser the other day. No help.

I just love the leaf hug that little acorn. Great detail throughout the frame. The vein textures in some of the leaves are incredible. the little acorn kind of looks like it’s sticking its tongue out…if it had a tongue. :slight_smile: Well seen Diane!

Diane: Really well seen, composed and captured. These kind of intimate scenes are marvelous and this is very pleasing. Top notch shot. >=))>

Thanks everyone, and many thanks for the EP! I’ve put a flag to mark the little acorn – maybe you’ll see a baby tree soon – deer willing.