Cache

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Is this regionally unique behavior?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

An old scar from limb removal in a large California live oak (Quercus agrifolia) serves as a place for woodpeckers to horde their acorns for the coming winter.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 70-200mm + 2x @ 300mm; f/22 @ 1/4 sec; +0.33 EV, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55; remote trigger

Very cool find, Bob. I really like the composition with the way the moss curves around the knot. The acorns add a nice sense of scale and tell a cool story.

Thank you @ [Dennis Plank] for your comments. Indeed, the acorns ARE the story.

A really nice find and capture, Bob. It reminded me of an animal eye at first glance. I too like the moss around the “eye”.

Thank you @Shirley_Freeman for your comments. I must confess that this majestic tree is in my daughters yard and the subject matter is level with the upper story deck. My challenge was to be there in good weather and to have ample acorns embedded for storage. My next challenge was to make a pleasant, representative capture.

1 Like

Bob: Spectacular disparate textures and details! I love the contrast between the mossy side and the stark hard side. Wonderful find and a fine capture… Many kudos. >=))>

Thank you @Bill_Fach for your generous remarks. I wish there more acorns. There were times when the acorn count was higher, but all the other elements were not as attractive as on this day.