Acorn Woodpecker

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It has finally quit raining and I’ve been hanging out by the bird feeders, camera at hand.
These guys are reliable models, although they chase everyone else away.

Specific Feedback

All comments, suggestions and reactions always welcome! This spot on the branch is a nice spot for perching but the branch is clamped down just left of the frame so no more canvas there. I don’t mind a squarish crop for a pose like this – I think it leaves enough breathing room on the left – barely.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 9.48.05 AM

Minor global tonal work in LR, thanks to some cloudy light. I had to go to higher ISO and slower SS than I like, but that’s what the light required. Into PS for NR, but it wasn’t bad at this image size. Burned the branches that exited the frame on the right, pruned a large branch exiting the bottom of the frame and added canvas top and bottom.

3 Likes

Hi Diane, another nice pose of a great subject - wish we had this species in my area. I think your composition is quite pleasing as is. Interesting perch - are those burn marks on the left? In any event this works for me. Nice details and exposure as well.

Nice acorn portrait. Well done. I was just out back shooting our acorns too. They have a look, don’t they?

Excellent, Diane. Going to f/13 to put the whole perch in crisp focus really makes this image for me. Maybe just a tiny, tiny bit off the bottom?

Really Nice !!! ISO 800 shows no noise. Great depth of field and color is real natural looking. Very Cool Shot.

Thanks, @Allen_Sparks, @Dave_Douglass, @Dennis_Plank and @Gill_Vanderlip! Dennis, I debated about the bottom and actually added a tiny bit there. Will look at it again with fresher eyes. Allen, it’s a charred Manzanita branch from one of our famous CA wildfires. It amazes me how parts of a branch can be this burned and nearby areas show no traces. The same when fire devastates a living tree – all the leaves will be burned off but branches the size of a pencil can still be there.

1 Like

We don’t have these woodpeckers here, so this is double nice for me: A species I don’t see and a nicely done photo. Good details and I think the crop is okay. Interesting perch with a pleasing background.

Interesting perch with good detail. Good pose and background. Crop works for me. Great job.