The Old Blind Buck - Edited

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was one of four huge mule deer bucks that were hanging out in the brush near the Tule Lake NWR visitor’s center a couple of years ago. I hadn’t noticed the eye until I got this home and started working on it in my computer. Not sure if it is cataracts, or some old injury this guy sustained somewhere along the line. He was still huge and still in amazing condition, and smart enough to stay in the refuge and away from the hunters.

Specific Feedback

I know the brush made for a busy photo, I hope the BG and FG are blurred enough to make the buck stand out well in this.

Technical Details

Canon 5DMiii, f10, 1/2000 sec, iso 800, -0.7 EV, 100-400/1.4TC at 560 mm, distance to buck about 150 feet.

3 Likes

I love that the buck is almost camouflaged in the bushes, much as you would expect it to be in nature. I do not mind the business of the scene, as you have highlighted lighting on the animal. Perhaps, you could mute the surrounding bushes if you did not feel there was enough of a distinction. Well done.

He is magnificent!

I agree that the foliage on the right hand side near the buck is a bit distracting. It “might” help to darken this area a bit.

Thank you @madd_laura and @DJLeland. I went ahead and darkened the area right behind the buck’s head a bit. Hopefully that tones down the yellows a little. Thank you for your suggestions.

Yes, that helped!

1 Like

It’s always striking to me how resilient the natural work can be. This view shows that well, Ed. He stands out nicely in all of the brush, illustrating both his ability to overcome diversity (I suspect that he got poked during a rutting battle) and how good he is at hiding.