The Sorcerer's Ritual

Allen’s Version

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Captured against the dynamic backdrop of the ocean, this image portrays a lone cormorant as a wizard of the natural world, engaged in what appears to be a sunlit ritual. Its wings, wide and expressive, fan out in an intricate dance of feathers, echoing ancient symbols of power and mystique. The rugged, barnacle-encrusted rock serves as an altar, anchoring the scene as the waves murmur their timeless chorus in the background. This image is a testament to the raw, untamed essence of nature, preserving the authentic grace of this avian sorcerer.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

343 mm at ISO 2500 and 1⁄6400sec at ƒ/6.3

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Hi Saundie, nice take on this interesting pose. The lighting gives a dramatic effect in the wings. I like the rocky setting and the sea BG is another element of interest. Wish the oof rock in the lower left wasn’t there but assume it couldn’t be avoided. I wonder if a slight crop on bottom and use of the remove tool would take it out effectively.

Several iterations of the remove tool produced this below. I had to use the remove tool first over the entire area and then selectively to reduce duplications.

2 Likes

Nice pose and setting. It does look as if the bird is presiding over something. I like the work Allen Sparks did to remove the OOF rock in the foreground.

1 Like

A very cool pose and lighting, Saundie, and a fun interpretation of the scene. I alos had some concern about the out of focus area in the foreground. I’ve had mixed success with the remove tool and often fall back on the old fashioned clone tool, but Allen’s work on it looks pretty good. A combination of the two tools also often works well with the remove tool getting close and the clone tool to make it look more realistic.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, Allen. About the rock at the bottom, I did think about removing it but ended up keeping it because it felt like it added a bit of depth, sort of like peeking over it into the scene that wasnt meant to be witnessed.

I really like your version where you took it out, it looks clean and really well done, a brilliant effort! It’s great to have another pair of eyes on these things. Appreciate your input!

Thanks Dennis! I think Allen has done a brilliant job of removing the OOF rock. :clap:

Thanks Allen! I agree Allen Sparks @Allen_Sparks has done a great job removing the OOF rock. :clap: