The sun always sets in the West

Picture sandstone from Kanab, Utah. This is a totally natural sedimentary formation.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
6 Likes

This is a wonderful image, David. I like the symmetry of the lines along with an array of textures and details. The earth tones also work very well in this scene. Beautifully done.

Nicely mirrored. Excellent technique for this subject. The seam is almost invisible.
I love these sandstones and own several pieces. So many great “landscapes” within each slab!

I thought this was a mirrored image at first too, but if you look closely you can see small differences on each side, what a crazy rock! It must have split somehow and then eroded back together?

1 Like

I love picture sandstone, David. This is an outstanding example that really does look like a landscape. A great find.

I knew from the title this one was yours, David. This is really cool. The symmetry is astounding. I had to look very carefully to be sure you hadn’t mirrored this image. It’s also beautiful.

Speechless. I am also baffled by the symmetry. There is almost a Japanese art quality to it.

David, this is positively amazing. And even after close study, it is still truly hard to believe it’s not a mirrored image. Outstanding find!

David, after looking more closely, I can see the subtle differences between the two sides. However, I’m at a loss to explain how fluids moving through this sandstone could possibly deposit such almost identical “mirrored” features. I could understand if there were two slices of rock that were joined. That would explain the similar, but not identical features. However, I can not see joint! So I am intrigued, and wonder if you could shed some light.

This is gorgeous! The color and contrast are spot-on.

The textures and curves are amazing. I have studied a lot of geology, and I cannot explain this occurrence.

David, can you give us an idea of the scale, here? Was this a small slab, or part of a massive piece of rock?

What a great find. Perhaps our resident geologist @Stephen_Weaver can shed some light on this wonderful piece of geologic history.
-P

Fabulous image. This is what geologists call liesegang banding in sandstone. . It is usually formed during a process we call diagenesis that can occur during the formation of sedimentary rocks. Secondary Fe oxides minerals are deposited by low temperature water dominated fluids that contain the Fe that is then deposited as the secondary iron oxides ( often the mineral limonite) when the right Eh-pH conditions are met. .

1 Like

Stephen, thanks for the explanation of this geologic wonder. :+1:
-p

1 Like

Love how this takes you on trips of imagination. I see clouds. Or I see a sunrise. Or I see fields of tilled soil. There’s also a buddhist aspect to this. Just a fascinating image. Few abstracts really go beyond beauty. This one does it very well.