The Tipping Point

Last last at the iconic Mt Rundle in Banff national park last fall. It’s was a great afternoon to shoot with the light and atmospherics changing frequently.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

1/800s, f 5.6, 400mm, ISO 1000

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@nathankleinphotos

1 Like

Well this is a different view of an iconic location, kudos to you for doing something more original. I really like the swirling clouds, and the snow dusted striations in the mountain. In terms of composition, I like the amounts of sky/clouds you included, you have just enough blue sky to define the clouds. This is a matter of personal taste, but I would prefer to see a crop from the bottom, that little “knob” on the side of the mountain in the LLC bothers me a bit, and I would crop to eliminate it.

Nathan,

Great job isolating the classic peak among the swirling clouds. Like Ed mentions, kudos for giving us a fresh look. The light here of course is really the story and it enhances to mountain peak, clouds and snow just beautifully.

I can see Ed’s point about the knob in the left, but I’m wondering if you have already cropped and you actually have more room all the way around to give back? Perhaps not given you had the 400mm. But I think a little more room would show off the mountain and light playing in the swirling clouds even more. Just a thought.

Last thing - there’s a small face of rock almost half way up the corner of the ridge graced by that light. I bet you could selective dodge and or even warm up to bring more attention to that little spot. A case where an “eye magnet” is a good thing to be drawn to. That’s a neat little spot of light.

Lon

Oh Nathan, what a glorious light. I really enjoy what is going on with the clouds rolling on the face. I see both Ed’s and Lon’s point about the knob and the warm spot. I think the warm spot bothers me more than the knob but both are minor distractions for me. I really like how you have rendered the blues in the shadow areas. Overall, very well done in my book.

@Ed_McGuirk @Lon_Overacker @Adhika_Lie Thanks for taking the time to comment. After considering I decided to go for a crop. My only image with more space was at 100mm which is a different image all-together with different light.

I thought I’d try a border after reading Igor’s comments. It’s great to experiment with as it brings in another element.

2 Likes

@Nathan_Klein This revision/image looks great. The knob of rock in the original post didn’t bother me. My issue was more that the diagonal didn’t originate from closer to the lower right corner. Seeing this, I feel it is a much more effective and striking image.

I have to say that i love the processing on this. Great detail in the shadows. Not too dark. All very very nice

1 Like

Nathan, I like the rework very much. The crop has made Mt. Rundle more prominent, and I really like what the border has done to enhance the presentation of the image. Nice work on this one :+1: :+1:

1 Like