The total solar eclipse of 2017

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a 30x40 hanging on the wall next to a total lunar eclipse, which I’ll post tomorrow. Hoping to improve on both in the near future! I’m going to start a Discussion for the upcoming one and will give shooting and processing info there. Advice: Do everything you can to see it! It will be a very long time before the next one that doesn’t involve international travel.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 2.03.59 PM

Camera on a tracker to shoot a range of exposures to get the detail in the outer corona. Star field shot 6 months before when that part of the sky was in darkness. The two stars showed in the longest eclipse exposure and let me align the stars accurately.

2 Likes

That’s a just plain awesome piece of work, Diane. Well worth all the effort and planning you put into it.

This in an absolutely wonderful image. I am so impressed with your technique to take the night sky star image and combine that with the eclipse. Your hard work shows with this ‘stellar’ image.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank and @horatio. I’m already planning with test runs for the next one!