The Vicissitudes of Life

REWORK, with Kris’ suggestions and a different crop:

ORIGINAL:

When I saw this kelp on the beach, all dinged up, I immediately thought of how it had experienced “the vicissitudes of life”.

Specific Feedback Requested

I adjusted the tonalities quite a bit, to bring out the dinged up part of the kelp. Does it look phony? Any other comments always welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 105mm, 1/50s, f/14, ISO 1000

1 Like

It does not look “phony” to me, Bonnie. For me at least, it has an abstract quality with wonderful flowing lines. Very nicely seen.

1 Like

I totally agree with Linda’s thoughts on this. Wonderful abstract image!

1 Like

A nice abstract, but if you hadn’t said what the focal point is, I wouldn’t have guessed. It does look quite odd and out of place, which is the point, but hm…I’m curious what it looks like without all the processing you did.

1 Like

I like it as well Bonnie. I like it because the focal point looks like a rock and I like the contrast between it and the kelp as subject and visually. It could be a pipe as well. The image is sort of a whimsical tease for me. I would finish the processing though because the edge of the “rock” has some kelp color where the brush didn’t get to.

1 Like

Thank, @linda_mellor, @Nick_Bristol, @Kris_Smith, and @Igor_Doncov for your thoughts. This pone does feel odd - not sure about it.

The kelp color was in the original - I’m thinking it is what’s leftover from the original “skin”.

Kris, here is the mostly unedited original (cropped, some bright spots adjusted).

It finally dawned on me what I’m seeing. This is likely bull kelp, Nereocystis. It has a very thick stalk with an air filled bulb at the end which keeps it upright. All the fronds grow out of this bulb. The ‘rock’ is actually the thick stalk that grows below the fronds.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure what I was seeing. The image is a riddle, which for me, is a good thing. It has an abstract feel that I also like.

Thanks for posting the almost original.

1 Like

Wow cool, thanks for posting that. I’ve seen things like this in sea wrack before, but hadn’t noticed how different the ‘capsule’ is compared to the leafy parts of the plant. I kinda wish I’d paid more attention. I think what you’ve done is good, but I’d go lighter with the surroundings or slightly darker with the capsule so their tonalities are more aligned. I think the difference in the two in terms of texture and color is great enough and would still make an excellent abstract without so much difference. Does that make sense? Not through my first cup of coffee yet so it might not. lol

@Kris_Smith, yes, your comments make sense. I take your point about the natural contrast and texture being enough of a difference without so much fiddling. I did a rework, for what it’s worth.

Usually, the stalks aren’t as dinged up as this one - that’s why it caught my eye.

What a neat find Bonnie, I love the organic look of this subject.

I prefer the rework over the original. The lighter greens of the kelp add a a lot vitality and energy to the image, the lighter tones create a nice glow effect. I like everything about the rework, except that I prefer the darker treatment of the “pod”, for some extra contrast. Here is a rework showing how it might look darker.

Thanks, @Ed_McGuirk - I like it!

1 Like

Late to the party here, @Bonnie_Lampley, but gosh, I love the idea and I really like what Ed did. Great find!

2 Likes