Cryptic Roots

REWORK - Adjusted blue hue and luminosity in original ULC as suggested by @Mike_Friel . After doing that, flipping 180 as suggested by @Merv looked better. Thanks, guys!

ORIGINAL:

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the way the colors turned out when the layers were blended and the contrast between the roots and the fabric-like folds.

Creative direction

What’s my creative direction? Right now, it’s experimental, to see what happens when combining various natural scenes to make abstract images.

Specific Feedback

Looking for any aesthetic, emotional, or technical feedback. I had no conceptual plan for this.

Technical Details

Both photos from iPhone 14, raw format files. Small tweaks in ACR for exposure, color balance; combined in PS. PS layers:
Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 1.20.39 PM

Description

Both photos (roots and kelp) were made while just enjoying a walk on the beach. I made photos that evening with a mind to combining them later, to experiment with the results of that.

7 Likes

I really like the results of your composite experiments, Bonnie! :slight_smile:

The two images fit very well together.
I’m not really sure what to say about it other than it feels like it’s “Upside Down” (to me), I tried rotating it 180 degrees and it seemed to feel more natural or comfortable but that’s just me.
Love the colors and the impressionistic style.
Thinking about it more, It’s almost as if there’s a whimsical sheet of linen floating in water before it becomes completely saturated. At least that’s what it feels like at the moment.

Nice! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Instantly recognizable as one of yours! To my eye there’s slightly too much dark blue in the ULC - but apart from that it’s a hum-dinger.

So cool!! It evokes sheer fabric blowing in a summer breeze. Where or how or why doesn’t matter – it exists in its own realm to just be enjoyed without reference to our daily existence.

I never in a million years would have thought kelp!! Nice to see your image construction!

Thank you, @Merv, @Mike_Friel, and @Diane_Miller.

[quote=“Mike Friel, post:3, topic:36457, username:Mike_Friel”]
…there’s slightly too much dark blue in the ULC]…[/quote]
I wondered if that would strike anyone. The shade of blue is a bit different, also. I’ll work on that as it sort of bothers me, also.

I’m glad you both felt this way. This is exactly how I see it - like folds of fabric. I’m going to be on the lookout for more folded kelp patches on the beach as I like the effect a lot.

1 Like

I always enjoy seeing the results of the finishing touches, the rework looks great!

Very well done, Bonnie! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one is good too. I think I might like this one even more than your previous one. And the rework is a significant improvement. Going high tone was a good idea.

1 Like

I agree with Igor. Love the changes in the revision. Awesome combination of form and colors.

Bonnie, kudos for experimenting. I’ve learned a lot by just playing around with images in Photoshop. Keep up the great work. I

Thanks, @Igor_Doncov and @Alfredo_Mora.