The Wake

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Just seeking feedback. Tis one of my favorites as I am not much of a birder or wildlife photographer. I do have a background in birds of prey as docent at a local sanctuary, and found the vultures, their defenses and services rendered to be particularly fascinating.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I was working in Newberry, South Carolina on a fine crisp December morning as I was driving down the road I notice a gathering of black vultures (a wake) there were no carcasses in the area that I am aware of just a glorious gathering of the minds. Or just to commiserate about the cold. Who is to know except for our dear friends the vultures.

Technical Details

Canon R5
100-400 F4.5-56 IS II @400mm
ISO640
F/8
SS:1/1250
Processed in Lightroom

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic

2 Likes

Very cool; I like it Joseph. The B&W works very nicely with a nice range of tones as do those two graceful curving limbs and the way they peel away from one another. The clouds were certainly a nice bonus as it makes the vultures stand out even more. No suggestions from me. Nicely done.

1 Like

Thank you for your input good sir!

Being a vulture lover this caught my eye immediately! What an awesome capture, Joseph! And how lucky to get 15 black vultures all in one frame! I really like it in black and white as it brings out the texture in their faces and feathers. It’s a perfect tree that they’re on too and so evenly spaced, as if they were posing for you. I think this really highlights their personality as they are such social creatures. Just love it!

1 Like

Very cool. Your b&w processing is great. The vultures feel mildly threatening.

It looks like you brought down the highlights in the sky. There’s a couple spots you might have missed:

1 Like

Awesome critique! Thank you. I actually just noticed this a couple days ago when printing this thing out! Good eye and thanks!

1 Like

Thank you so much Vanessa! I really appreciate your kind words and critique!

1 Like

Thank you Ed! I love black and whites so much. I almost scared these guys off coming to a screeching halt in my truck to get this photo! I could already pre-visualize how I was gonna process this before I took this frame. The trouble was in the composition! As per usual. Cheers!