There has been an incident

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

You’d have heard me gasp when I first saw this jaw-dropping tree from the trail. Immediately I felt humbled and then sad that I only discovered it after its death. I approached carefully, as if I was disturbing it, imposing on its slumber or perhaps watchfulness. There is a dichotomy of strength and vigor and decrepitude and decay that was really difficult to come to grips with, especially when it came to photos. I almost didn’t take any because I didn’t feel I could do it justice.

Did I come close? Do any of the feelings and impressions I described come across in these scenes?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Mostly I try not to anthropomorphize plants and animals or imbue them with any meaning other than their literal places in an ecosystem, but when I came across this ancient tree I almost felt it as a physical vibration in the earth. It has probably been dead longer than I’ve been alive and its life span will have been many times what mine will be.

It was about three feet across and hollow at the base. The limb that fell is bigger than most of the living trees around it. As I approached I felt awe beyond anything I have experienced in a while. This massive entity must have been amazing while it lived. Those branches spreading to cover the laurels and other plants with dense shade. Those same branches serving as perches, hiding places and maybe whole worlds for the smallest of creatures.

Technical Details

Handheld with a lot of sun breaking through clouds and canopy

No. 1

No. 2

Lightroom for the B&W conversion and some work in the B&W panel to emphasize or deemphasize certain hues. Some lens correction and distraction removal probably.

Specific Feedback

In its presence I struggled with how to depict the scene in such a way that would preserve the majesty and scale of this giant. There was no way to take it in entirely as so much of it was far over head and buried in the canopy of younger trees. Backing up put more obstacles in the way so this was as far as I could get. Rather than go for a more literal translation, I used a stylized B&W treatment in hopes it would not just convey a more dramatic feel, but also isolate the tree and give it the presence it deserves.

The first version, with the fallen branch reaching out, is much more compelling for me. Both the fallen branch and the remaining one, reaching up to the ULC, feel like actual limbs. There’s a sense of falling down in the first one, I think because the fallen limb isn’t touching the bottom of the frame. Just that bit of space below it in the LRC give it room to keep falling. The size of the fallen branch conveys more (former) strength than the second version.

…off to read your comment…

The one thing I don’t get from either photo is the sense that this tree is huge and much larger than the other trees around it. I can see that it is bigger, but not so much bigger as to be awe inspiring. Maybe that’s my personal experience, from seeing huge redwoods and other conifers and less experience with northern hardwood forests.

Thanks @Bonnie_Lampley - I have a few other compositions, but these were the strongest in my mind and I wondered how people would respond to them. I hadn’t caught the falling aspect to the first one so thank you for that! Without something for scale, it is difficult to gauge size, but this one is really big for its type (I think it t was a white pine - ship masts were often made of white pine back in the day, so maybe that gives you some sense of its size).

I find the first composition more interesting than the second. There are more oblique angles and it’s just more complex. I’m looking at this from an iPhone so can’t make a lot of judgements.

I find this to be a big thing in photography. When the image makes opposite statements at one and the same time it is far more intriguing than when it’s statement is clear and obvious. Obvious leads to disinterest and boredom, the kiss of death for an image.

Thanks @Igor_Doncov - I agree that the first is the stronger. Very difficult to compose for this subject given the density of trees all around it. Dichotomy is a thing I think people grapple with in many ways, but are usually intrigued by. Nature doesn’t give it to us all the time, but when it does, it’s pretty challenging.

What a gorgeous composition in the first frame. Multiple repeating verticals of differing widths with only two horizontal elements. Both are strong horizontals mirroring a similar angle. One is set high and one low, balancing the frame at opposite quadrants.

The second image may carry your message more, but suffers in composition, almost just a snap-shot. I think there are strong processing possibilities in this image.
—reading—
Nothing new to add but other than I hope you do the image justice in processing. Don’t depend on others “treatments”, find your own.

Thanks @Guy_Manning - I guess #1 is the winner. As I said, it was a bit tough to shoot due to its size, scale and lack of clear sight-lines.

Can you clarify this please? I think I’ve done it justice with the processing I’ve done which started with a preset and then was tweaked.

Both are wonderful!! I love the B/W being almost an IR look. It honors the character of the tree and makes the forest a special place. The character of this tree definitely comes across, even to someone who has no reference to its size or past grandeur. Truly a spirit tree!!

The first has a more compelling composition, but both are more than worthy.

Kris,
Both images are quite lovely and certainly pay homage to this once vibrant tree. Even with it’s passing it will continue on as it nourishes the forest around it. My favorite is the first as that fallen limb draws me in to enjoy it’s stately presence. The B&W treatment is perfect and reminds me of an IR image. All of the emotions you mentioned are quite evident in these two images. Beautifully done!

Thanks @Diane_Miller & @Ed_Lowe - it was such a humbling thing to be with this tree. In a way it was like my one and only grizzly bear experience - it surely put me in my place.

As I recall, I was quite close to the trees you see in the second shot on the right. Behind me were more trees of a similar size and so getting a lot of the fallen branch into the shot had its challenges. I have about a million photos since I have no idea when, or even if, I’ll be back to this location. I changed from standing to kneeling and everything in between in an effort to get something workable. Glad this one resonates. It has such presence.

Lr has an IR preset and that’s what I started with for these photos - then I tweaked it to get more contrast on the tree itself. I rarely use presets, but sometimes one fits what I’m trying to convey and so using one saves time.

Sorry, I never looked at the images larger than what is on this page. I saw a lot of potential in the scene for contrast and masking but never looked for it in the large version. The larger versions make a lot of difference. Shame on me.

No problem. Glad you took another look. Contrast was a big part of how to give this venerable giant some presence and heft.