The remains of a giant (+ 1 rework)

Rework of #1 with a cooler white balance and a subtle change to the URC -

While photographing the Pine River a few days ago, I kept looking into the woods because it’s positively primordial. The farther forest is actively managed, but within 150 feet from the riverbank, things are allowed to go wild. That made this a bit more of a challenge to photograph because it is surrounded by the usual saplings and pole sized trees that obscured the view.

What must have been a monster tree is now a monster stump still clinging to the ledge it sprouted on probably more than a century ago. From what I can tell it was a yellow birch. The ledge itself is taller than me (5’ 8") and the stump itself closer to 10 feet high. Just look at the roots! So amazing. What a towering presence it must have been.

I walked all over and around trying for something better, but these two views are the only ways it worked. A really tough shot, but I did my best to get small trees out of the foreground and to keep the top of the stump from intersecting with any trees behind. I was positioned between two small trees about 6 feet from the formation, the farthest I could be without having things in between.

Specific Feedback Requested

Which view and/or processing do you prefer? Neither is quite dead on to conditions as it was very slightly raining and overcast, but I think both convey different moods and aspects of a scene like this.

Technical Details

Tripod and polarizer

The first is an HDR blend in Lightroom, the second is a single image. Lots of lens correction and transform to fix the geometry and orientation of the ledge and get the trees lined up right. Lots of brush and radial masks to manage tonal range and lift some shadows in key areas. Some texture, clarity, sharpening and noise reduction. To get the basic look for each I messed with white balance, Calibration sliders, HSL sliders and curves adjustments.

1 Like

Hey Kristen! I love this shot! I actually have one very similar of a tree just like this! I prefer the first photo because of the way the tree is leaning. As it leans to the right slightly, it pushes the visual flow that direction as well allowing the viewer to continue to explore the rest of the scene. I would ask, I wonder if there was a way to get a higher perspective to remove the light coming through the canopy at the top. If not, no worries, just a thought!

Ha! Only if I climbed a tree. :laughing:
If I return I’ll bring the bigger tripod. Seeing that I didn’t know how much hiking v. driving I could do, I brought the smaller, lighter one. Taller could work as the thing goes over 6 feet high and could mitigate the sky somewhat. Being that this whole bit of forest is the bottom of a river valley and was once part of the river bed, the slope goes down to the left out of the frame.

Kris, the first one scores for me. Well done!

You did well to compose this image in all of the clutter that you mention. I like the composition of both images for different reasons. In the first, I have to say that I find the colors to be too warm, but just slightly so. The second image appears to be more natural looking and a bit cooler in color tones. I would think that something between the two images would look really nice. The first image emphasizes the stump more and the second image emphasizes more of the rock with the stump. The ferns in the foreground add a nice primordial touch to this scene as does the moss covered rock. I could tell it was breezy as the leaves in the trees are moving about and so are some of the ferns. Not a big deal at. I love the rock in the second one but I love the simplicity of the first image. I can’t decide which one I prefer. Both are great.

I think both are excellent but I have a preference for the 2nd. It features the tree and its rock ledge platform more, presenting a (I think) more powerful image. Maybe just a slight crop to remove the bright fern in the lower left corner that seems a bit of a distraction. An interesting backstory too.

Lovely image. I like the first one best with the contrast between the remaining of the giant and the green area of the living, groving trees.

Kris, the first image works best for me. Seeing this giant’s remains and how it must have struggled to hang on in the end with the exposed root structure is the true story no doubt… :+1:

Thanks @David_Bostock, @LarryR, @David_Haynes & @Ola_Jovall @Paul_Breitkreuz for your input as well. I’m glad the photo resonates with so many. It’s a bit unconventional, but I was drawn to it. The lightness in the first image is partly from the HDR blend, but also because I wanted to try two very different editing looks and see how those flew as well as the compositions themselves.

I tried to find a way to crop #2 as you suggest, Larry, but doing so basically ended up with the first composition so I gave up. I like it for the rockiness, but I couldn’t show more of that without putting trees in front of it or intersecting the ones behind with the top of the stump.

There is a second version of #1 in the OP.

What an amazing scene!! I much prefer the second as the stump is such a strong object and the lines from both sides lean up toward it. In the first, for me, the trees on the right don’t add much. I don’t mind the fern in the LL being partly cut off. It echoes the one at the base of the stump.

Thanks @Diane_Miller - it was a pretty amazing sight. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such a big stump on ledge like that before. And another vote for #2 - I’m glad since I kind of like that one because it shows more rock.

Kris,

Fantastic image. Great job showcasing the stump, yet also providing location and context; there’s a great balance you’ve captured in the composition. Well, I should say the composition of the first two versions. The third actually does well to also showcase the rock in which the old tree is/was clinging too, and so a strong story element. Also, the yellow leaves are less distracting in this comp.
But give and take… the now included ferns in the LLC pull my eye a bit. So I prefer the original comp.

Overall, and including the processing, color balance, etc. I think the 2nd version works best for me. Again, I think you’ve done a great job showcasing the old tree (what’s left of it…) and also crafting the composition to help continuing telling this nature story. Well done.

Lon

Thanks @Lon_Overacker - I agree the first image has better flow than the second. If I get back there this year I’ll see if I can do anything else with this. That old stump should last a few more years anyway!