This Storm Is On Me

I was driving from Valdez to Anchorage on a beautiful, mostly clear day and came upon this very small but heavy snow storm. I stopped when it was directly overhead and shot this scene.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

All critiques are appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a6300, SEL1670Z @ 23mm (34mm w/crop factor), ISO-100, f/8.0, 1/640, hand held.

1 Like

Hi Gary,
I would say you happened to be in the right place at the right time. Wow! That looks really impressive.

What a great contrast of conditions. You perfectly caught the snowstorm in the foreground with your fast shutter speed. And in the background, the wide mountains are kissed by the sun under a blue sky. One cannot wish for more.

The dramatic mood somehow reminds me of a scene in a fantasy novel: The dark army in the foreground surrounds the light castle in the background, ready to attack.

I keep thinking about whether the tree on the left bothers me. It’s quite dominant in my opinion. But on the other hand, this dark tree is a good counterbalance to the brightest mountain peak on the right.

Gary, I think you should clone out all of the oof birds in the sky… :rofl: I really like the depth, emphasized well by the sunlight on the distant mountains. I’m fine with the tree on the left, but do wonder about a crop that moves it closer to the edge.

The power of the storm really comes through. And the light on the mountains is fantastic.