Thompson Pass Traverse

Taken on Thompson Pass, Alaska (27 miles from Valdez, Alaska on the Richardson Highway). I was walking the dogs (there are actually 3 dogs in this image) and wanted to capture the whole expanse so I shot 6 vertical photos and stitched them. I posted a large version so that you can appreciate the detail. Click twice on the image for maximum size.

Sony a6000, E55-210 @ 55 mm, ISO-400, f/8.0, 1/1250, 6 vertical hand held photos stitched with AutoPanoGiga.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi @Gary_Minish beautifull image, the detail is just amazing and the third dog was hard to find ahah.

Thanks for sharing, cheers.

João Ferrão

Beautiful view from the pass. The two times I drove through there, I could see about 25 feet in front of the truck through the fog. Thanks for letting me know what it looks like and a fine look, too.

Gary: Spectacular scene superbly captured and presented. The dogs are a nice touch and the atmospherics are marvelous. Most excellent. :+1::+1:>=))>

Beautiful image, and the dogs are well placed. It must be great to live 30 miles from this spot.

Wow! Last time I was through Thompson, there were enormous walls of snow down either side of the road for miles and clouds right down to their tops.

This amply shows all I was missing. Wonderful composition and details. Your dogs add an ideal point of interest and sense of scale to the expanse.

Gary, what a great location to have close by. The mix of mountains, clouds, dogs and green, makes a very inviting view.

The large image is outstanding on my big monitor. Superb comp.

Igor; yes it is great to be that close to the Pass. I am able to get off work, run up there with the dogs, pick one of my favorite routes, put in a couple miles and be back home in time for dinner! It doesn’t get much better than that :slight_smile: