Three Amigos

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While out looking for some spring color; on a rainy misty day; I spotted this grouping of three trees and thought they would make a great subject. This scene had a soft delicate mood to it that I found very inviting. I hope that comes through to the viewer.

Specific Feedback

Overall I am pretty happy with the image, but if you notice anything please don’t hesitate to let me know your thoughts.

Technical Details

Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 125mm, f 20 @ 1/13 sec, ISO 400, CPL, cable release and tripod.

3 Likes

Hi Ed,
that is a beautiful woodland scene. I can very well understand why those trees caught your attention.
I could stroll for hours through misty forests.

I really like your composition and the soft mood you captured. If I had to change anything in the image, it would be the white balance. But that’s personal preference, of course.
In my opinion, the image is too warm. Even the fresh green spring colors are somewhat yellowish.

1. I adjusted the white balance
  2. I dodged the very dark branch at the top of the center tree slightly
  3. I toned down the LLC because it distracted my eye a bit.

It is a beautiful hazy scene that makes me want to wander through the forest with my camera myself.
Well done!

2 Likes

Ed, this is a wonderful, intimate landscape. I’m not sure about the white balance. I see what Jens is getting at. I know that here in the Southern Appalachians we can see a lot of scenes like this in spring. The grasses will be a rusty color, as well as trees that are holding on to their autumn colors before sprouting new leaves. Which way you go really depends upon your vision for the image.

1 Like

As @Susanna_Euston said, this works wonders as an intimate landscape. I prefer the color or white balance as you have it. It’s the blending of yellow and golds that makes the image speak to me. I would not introduce more green. Nice job of seeing. Many people would walk right by here and take no notice. I recently learned a saying from the Talmud that applies here: “Wherever you look, there is something to see.” Elliot Porter would have applauded this image.

2 Likes

Many thanks @Jens_Ober, @Susanna_Euston and @Larry_Greenbaum for your thoughtful C&C as it is always appreciated. This was a special morning that I have tried to duplicate with no success. The conditions were perfect that day with the soft spring colors and the light misty rain and mist.

@Jens_Ober : Thanks for taking the time to do a rework with your ideas. I like what you did with the branch and LRC, but I am not sure about adjusting the WB that far; food for thought.

@Susanna_Euston : The early spring colors can be just as vibrant and beautiful as the ones in the fall.

@Larry_Greenbaum : Thank you for the comparison. Not to pat myself on the back, but I thought of his body of work when I saw this scene.

2 Likes