Through the keyhole...`

Went out on boat ride @ 7nm from Playa Potrero. Was amazed the the varying shades of blue and gold in the waters. There were a series of small volcanic rock islands and outcropping (form outer barrier of caldera) with keyholes that provided a great visual effect. Clear turquoise water on this side of the island and forming storm clouds on the horizon in the back.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Capturing perspective and light through the dark keyhole.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Keyhole balanced at center or move more to left?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500 Nikon 18-300mm shot at 1/2000 sec, F5.6, ISO 1000, 68mm
Used LR Classic and Topaz Studio 2.0 - AI Clear
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Very nice, and the turquoise comes through well. The three structures (water rock and sky) complement each other. I would indeed move the keyhole slightly to the left and crop at the same time, to balance the three elements better. Now the sky in the hole is a bit dwarfed. I think a 16:9 crop would work very well.

1 Like

1 Like

Beautiful look through this keyhole! The blues are lovely.
I like the crop presented by @jaapv. I would maybe play a bit with the darkest shadows and brightest highlights in the keyhole and sky respectively to balance them just a little more. Maybe burning down the brighter rocks on the left some to keep more focus on the hole?

1 Like

EJ,

Beautiful colors in the water. Can only imagine floating around there in person - looks like a grand and beautiful place.

I like what you have as presented, but can see burning the rocks on the left a little bit. Jaapv’s crop works pretty well, but went further than I think needed. I so like the detail and interest in the rock that cropping any of it just doesn’t seem right. Maybe a slight crop off the bottom since the very bottom is a little soft anyway. Otherwise burning the brighter rock I think gets the biggest bang for the buck.

Lon

1 Like