Colorful Keyhole

Here is some more colorful rock from the southwest.

D850, 70-200mm

2 Likes

More beautiful colors! Keyholes (is that a formal term for these?) always feel like altars to me, with the little stones that collect in them as the offerings. Because that is my reaction, I’m wondering if bringing out those rounded stones would be interesting. Maybe increasing the contrast around them. I made an example of what I’m thinking, if you want to see it. I think if the rounded stones were brought out more, that would balance the striking orange interior of the keyhole. Anyway, it’s lovely, and hopefully you have more from this trip.

Absolutely I would love to see what you were thinking. I am always happy to hear/see ideas and thoughts on my images. It always gets me to look at it in new ways. Thanks

Here’s my idea -

That is an understated change, but looks good. Thanks

For something less understated, one could saturate some of the whitish areas. In this case, I saturated the lower right, and freehand vignetted a bit. Funny, as I see it in my browser, it is less saturated than viewed otherwise.

Hi Harley! I love the colors and textures of this rock. So beautiful. It kind of looks like a big water jar (like the kind they would use to draw water out of a well in another country or another time) turned on its side with water running out of it! Really awesome photo!

Hi Harley, I always enjoy seeing rock images from anywhere west of me cause I don’t get to see them often and loved my trips to AZ and UT. The light colored rocks and opening make a nice frame for the artwork found inside the keyhole. Also of interest are the parallel lines on the surface that are repeated inside. Nicely seen.

Very nice.
Love the composition and mood here.

Great eye to see this, Harley. I’m jealous of you all out west. We don’t have things like this on the East Coast. Looks like water flowing out of the hole.

@Dick_Knudson , I am liking your changes. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Harley, a real nice find here. The natural world sure provides us all with some nice art. Glad you found this one to share with us… :+1:

I love these rocks, Harley. I really like your original post, but I also like Bonnie’s idea but looks a little strong. Beautiful textures in this, and the little orphan rocks in the hole really make it for me.

Wonderful combination of textures and colors Harley. My mind went a different direction the above, wondering what the overall balance would be if the saturation was a tad less in the darker center. I’m not necessarily sold on the effect myself, but here it is to compare: