A Pocket

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was going to title this ‘Excess’ but after watching a video on Van Gogh’s colors I changed my mind. In fact, it was the video that made me decide to revisit and work on this image from a year ago. Complementary colors together make each one more intense. I think you can see it here. So I guess this is my Van Gogh photograph.

Specific Feedback

I’m unsure about the highlights of that round rock in the back. Is it too bright?

Technical Details

GFX50R, 32-64mm, f/11, iso 100

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

The warm/cool color contrast works well here, but, indeed, it might work better if the rock were a little less hot. Also, the left side of the arc formed by the edge of the pool looks like it is just slightly cut off. Not a big issue, but if there’s more of it in the capture, you could see how a different crop worked.

But overall, a nice image.

I think the highlights accentuate the shapes in the lit up rock in this Igor. I like the warmly lit round rocks. The sky and shady area provide a nice frame. I find myself contemplating the lit up area to see heads, eyes and teeth and . . .

I don’t know… The bright areas are bright but I don’t think it’s a deal breaker in anyway. I actually think that they add energy to the image without being overly distracting.
Otherwise, I have to say that I think the image is fantastic! I love the warm/cool contrast and that it’s symmetrical left and right but also up and down.

Upon viewing the thumbnail, my first reaction was intense, not excess. Not the usual type of image you present. After reading your description I see what you were going for and I like it a lot. Colors and lighting look fine to me. The pool looks a little cut off, but anything wider would possibly have been too wide. There’s something odd going on in the two top corners.

Good catch. Thank you. Sloppy work on my part.

Good stuff here, Igor. I too see the smiling ogre and the e sunlight looks good on it. Good comp.

Love the color and contrast. The dark arch at the bottom around the reflection is interesting.

The high light and the low contrast cooperate to create a pictorial look and pastel colors maybe is this that Van Gogh’s colors inspired you. I love the photo just as it is.

Hi Igor

Apart from the aforementioned upper corners I think this looks great. I really like it and I love the juxtaposition of hues its something I am always on the look out for. Lovely clean light too.

Igor, the golden glow on the main peak stands out well from the sky. Getting the complete reflection in the narrow view of the pool looks good also. Cutting off the pool looks deliberate and works well as it supports the main subject while adding interest. There also a lighter triangle touching the top about 1/4 in from the left.

You have a great composition Igor, and then you layer the colors and it’s a tasty complimentary color sandwich! Very nice.

For me, I could see taming those highlights just enough to slightly add more detail. The red channel seemed to be where the detail was missing, so I blended in the green channel just a tad to arrive at this beast:

I’m loving this, Igor! It’s all so well thought out, taken, and processed. Very balanced, beautiful coloration, strong details, excellent dynamic range, and your usual strong attention to details.

The 32-64 lens was my favorite lens when I was shooting the GFX. LOVED it. The range of hues within the same color range is fantastic on the big rock. From the palest yellow to the truly vivid yellows, there’s just so much to see. The same goes for the details in the rock, the lines, the faults, the dips, pockets, and curves, all eye candy. You had a perfect sky that day too.

The only nit (to me) is in the reflection. I wish the contrast there was a bit stronger, and maybe a bit lighter overall to enhance the balance. Version below to view.

It’s incredibly sharp. I don’t use it as much because I like intimate scenes. I just purchase the 120mm macro. None of my lenses let me get close enough at times. I was forced to pass up compositions I liked. We’ll see…

The 120 is amazingly sharp, and the focal length is also good, comparable to about 95-100 on a 35mm body. There was one lens that kinda freaked me out when I first received it; it was either the 120 or the 250. I can’t remember now, but I “think” it was the 120. I thought it was broken because there was a “clunk” when you turned the lens over from top to bottom. I could hear it and feel it. I checked it out and was told that was normal, but it scared the crap out of me at first. If yours does the same, it’s OK. If it doesn’t, that probably means it was the 250 that did that.

The companion piece to this which otherwise will never see the light of day:

1 Like

Having been to White Pocket recently, this one jumped out at me. I do think the highlights are a tad bright on the rock and @John_Williams edit nicely tamed them. Composition is nice but I do find myself wanting to see a bit more of the pool at the bottom. It feels a little awkwardly cut off to me. Overall though, this is a beauty!