Splash of color.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On our way to PNW we stopped at White Pocket AZ. There had been rain the day before, and the pockets were refreshed.

Specific Feedback

Seeking any and all advice and comments. Thanks in advance.

Please view the large image!

Technical Details

Canon R7, 1/20 s, f/11, ISO 200, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5 @ 10 mm, CPL, tripod.
Raw file processed in LRClassic and Topaz Photo AI. TK resize/sharpening for web.

What an interesting image – well seen and composed. Your point of view with the lake on a diagonal and the rocks reaching to the sky captures my eye and keeps me looking at the image. One suggestion, is to show off the texture in the rocks more, especially on the middle to upper left. I put the image into PS 2024 and did a midtones 2 luminosity mask, in TK9, outputting it to a curves adjustment and using a multiply blend mode. This is just an idea - super image. I think the image could use some sharpening and/or a bit more clarity as well. Great composition.

Very nice Ron, especially since it’s not always easy to pull of an image out of the Golden Hours. I really like the adjustments @Larry_Greenbaum suggests too.

Thank you, @Larry_Greenbaum and @John_Williams. I’ve incorporated those midtone adjustments into my processing.

I’ve been meaning to comment on this - it’s a very cool composition. Since you’re looking for any advice (be careful what you ask for - lol), I brought it into ACR and PS for some adjustments to bring more depth and texture to it.

In ACR, I brought up the light in the water and cooled it (used the object select masking tool - it works like a charm on something like this; it looks like you maybe did this, but missed a couple spots on the upper end of the water). I also warmed the rocks (although maybe that’s not appropriate since this is the “white” pocket) and increased the clarity and lightened the sky so it wasnt’ so prominent.

In PS, I did two curves with gradient filters to adjust the lower right and upper left parts of the rocks, and dodged/burned the rocks above the water to bring out more texture:

Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 4.08.53 PM

Thank you, @Bonnie_Lampley, for your suggestion. My processed image now looks a lot like yours!

I agree with other’s assessments of increasing the contrast and clarity to bring out the structure of the rocks.

This image also has me wondering if B&W would be good for further showing the structures of the rocks? I am not at my computer right now to play around with it myself, but thought I would at least offer the suggestion if you are still seeking feedback.

White Pocket is such a cool place. It was also filled with water back in September when I last visited!

Ronald,

I’ve never been - and would sure like to! This is a terrific image. I like how you’ve framed the ephemeral pool.

I also agree about increasing the texture/detail of the rock. I like Bonnie’s rendition, but I miss the blue sky in her version. I think Kyle is on to something as this could work nicely in b&w. But of course the color version works and looks quite excellent.

I have no other nits or suggestions.

Lon

Thank you @Bonnie_Lampley, @kyle and @Lon_Overacker for you critiques. I’ve re-processed the image. The rock has ended up more warm than I remember it, but, well, there’s the art of it.

1 Like