Convergence.

Revised

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Yet another view of White Pocket AZ.

Specific Feedback

Seeking any and all advice and comments. Thanks in advance.

Please view the large image!

Technical Details

Canon R7, 1/250 s, f/9, ISO 400, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5 @ 10 mm, CPL, focus stack, tripod.
Raw file processed in LRClassic and Topaz Photo AI. TK resize/sharpening for web.

Yep. Love the White Pocket and this captures it pretty thoroughly. Leading lines good… and they lead to something. So no quibbles about the composition.

if I nitpick, the clouds should be white at their brightest point (they are still rather cyan–plus the “blue” sky is a little green) and the deepest shadows are a very, very dark brown instead of netural. Fix these and the colors in the rest of the image are more convincing as well.

but this is a severe nitpick but if it was me, I would want to know

@Ronald_Murphy, this is a powerful image! The color version is beautiful, but I’d love to see it in black & white. Good job!

1 Like

Thank you, @bill_theis, for your comments. I’ve cooled the sky a bit to reduce the color cast there, warmed the land, and re-posted.

1 Like

Actually I was referring to the fact that your eye (and mine) will see clouds as white. An easy way to do this is make a Curves layer (but Levels would also work) and put the white eyedropper on the whitest part of the clouds and set it there. Also set the darkest black to a neutral with the black eyedropper. Afterwards change the blending of the Curves layer to “Color”… you can then adjust opacity of this layer down a bit if it is too much

just make sure what you set (be it the black, white or midtone eyedropper) is indeed neutral

The composition is really good. I like both versions about the same.

Ronald,

Excellent composition as others have mentioned. Nice tip from @bill_theis as well - a nice reminder as with all the process options and methods these days, I forget about this one… although I most often would set the dark pt, but only if I detect a color shift in the shadows just from my eye…

Anyway, excellent comp as mentioned; a great near-far setup with terrific lead-in lines. YOu have a compliementary sky and I like the amount you’ve included and nice to have some clouds!

This isn’t really a nitpick… and I know this wasn’t captured at midday give the angle of the shadows, but would have been nice to have later/warmer lighting conditions. But heck, that’s when you were there.

An excellent image. Thanks for sharing.

Lon

Thank you, @bill_theis. I agree I want the whitest part of the clouds to be neutral, but don’t I want the darkest part of the sandstone to be the color of the sandstone, just very dark?

Thank you @Igor_Doncov and @Lon_Overacker. Yes, almost always I find myself at a natural place for only a few moments at a certain time of day. Rarely is there the opportunity to experience it during a full cycle of light.

I will concede that the darkest point should not be something crazy like green for shadows on red sandstone (although they tend to purple a tiny bit if any sky is reflected from them). it is just that shadows tend to be neutral … but you can play with it and I doubt that you will notice much of a difference, even in a print

Very strong composition, and beautiful light. Colors are vivid without being over the top. The leading lines are very well used here. I agree with @Susanna_Euston that this could be interesting in black and white, too. Nice work!