In the pocket.

original

cropped

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Yet another view of White Pocket AZ.

Specific Feedback

Seeking any and all advice and comments. Thanks in advance.

Please view the large image!

Technical Details

Canon R7, 1/160 s, f/11, ISO 320, EF 24-105mm f/4 @ 16 mm, CPL, focus stack, tripod.
Raw file processed in LRClassic and Topaz Photo AI. TK resize/sharpening for web.

You’re so lucky. When I was there these pockets were bone dry. The only suggestion I have is to make the image be more about the pocket and not worry about the sky and surroundings. I only say that because that’s the approach I used. It’s not necessarily the best. There is also not much color here due to the overcast sky.

I noticed that you used Topaz AI. I’m curious how it changed the original composition.

Ronald I really loved your previous photo of the same location. I am thinking that this image could be equally beautiful getting rid of the elements that are not essential cutting the right and the bottom sides of the image. The nice reflexions in the pond could be enhanced and the same for the ancommon rocks. This is only my idea and I will be not surprise if you don’t agree.

@Igor_Doncov and @Giuseppe_Guadagno, thank you for your cropping suggestions. I cropped down to show just the pocket (see re-post). The URC still contained a bit of the original distant vegetation, so I used Photoshop generative fill to replace it. I’m not sure I’m comfortable with this. Igor, Photo AI doesn’t change the content, other than sharpening and noise removal, like Sharpen AI and DeNoise AI in one app.

I like both but think the cropped version is more engaging. The sky is just dramatic enough to add a lot of interest in the reflection and the light is so soft that I feel I can reach out and touch the rocks!

Ronald I like your new version. Actually I see something like the below version that improve the sight of the unusual and beautiful top of the rocks for me together with the reflexions and decreasing the elements that I feel disturbing.

Ronald: I really like both versions, especially the subdued color palette. The frame filling image has a more abstract feel to me. Both are superbly rendered. Top notch both. >=))>

What a treat to find that scene Ron! The reflection makes the fascinating sandstone so much better.

Man, it’s hard not to agree with @Bill_Fach ; I think both versions are great. In the end, I suppose the compromise version that @Giuseppe_Guadagno posted hits the sweet spot for me. Regardless, all are great image.

What a nice scene @Ronald_Murphy ! To me these pillars are the stars of the show, as they dominate the top of the image but also reflect themselves on the centre of gravity, in the pool. What I immediately thought here is to explore BW, to emphasise form and atmosphere. I thus provide one version here, where besides removing colour, I also zoom in just a bit to remove some peripheral distractions and just bring focus on the pillars. I have also reduced exposure & highlights slightly, mainly in order to bring up the sky, as imo it adds some drama to the composition. I know that this version deviates from your original vision but thought I’d share anyway in the spirit of exploring ideas.

… Great work in any case Ronald, really nice find and vision, kudos :slight_smile: