Through the Treetop & repost

I was trying to photograph the maple leaves and helicopters/seed pods and get the sun coming through without blinding myself! Trying to get a sunburst. I liked the way this bit of the tree kind of has a circular look framing the sun…

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything, does this work?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
48mm
1/160
f/22
ISO 400
Slight crop and needed to adjust shadows, whites, blacks and exposure slightly. I’m thinking I just needed a higher ISO?

This is gorgeous. Sometimes sunstars/bursts can be too much, but since it’s the subject here it works. Your black point could come down a bit, but the whites look ok to me.

1 Like

Really?! I’m glad you like it! @Kris_Smith Oh, a sunstar! I’m always using the wrong names or making up names for things! I lowered the blacks, does it look better?..

Looks good. The tree is full of seeds - I think these are called samaras which is a pretty neat name.

1 Like

Thanks @Kris_Smith! Yeah, that is a neat name. I looked it up and then I started reading this article that talks about how you can eat the seeds! Sounds good. I’ve seen squirrels do it! I think I’m going to go try them myself!

Vanessa, the sunstar is outstanding. There is a nice “circular” feeling in the leaves, seeds and branches around the sunstar.

1 Like

Thank you so much @Mark_Seaver! It’s good to know that I’m on the right track with the sun star and composition! I appreciate your feedback as always, both positive and negative!