Tidal View

Image Description

This is a tough challenge category for me as I have so many horizontal stitched photos it’s hard to pick! I’ll start with this cropped version of a very old panorama that I’ve posted a couple times before.

This was taken from the top of a tide water culvert that passes under the highway as you approach the new town of Valdez, Alaska. There were numerous seagulls feeding on something in the water that was running from the opposite side of the road as the tide went out. They were riding the current and feeding then looping back to repeat the process. I waited for one of the gulls to appear in the sky against the sunset as it looped back and took that vertical frame of the panorama. I then captured the remaining vertical frames on either side of that one to complete the panorama. This was 10 vertical frames stitched.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Any feedback is appreciated. Not looking for anything in particular.

Technical Details

Sony DSC-F707 camera. The stitching software that I was using then didn’t preserve the EXIF data and I don’t have time to dig through the archives for the original images so I can’t share the settings. It was only a 5 mpxl camera so I shot vertical frames to get a higher resolution pano.

1 Like

Amazing work here, Gary. 10 image stitch is out of the film usage arena. At least cost wise these days. The explosive scene is truly impressive but with the addition of the gull it is on another level for the viewers. The processing looks wonderful for the amount of images worked into the pano.
My days in AK I do not recall such sweet winter time light as we see here. For me being from CA it seemed almost dark 24 hours a day in the winters. I lived for the opposite almost 24 hours of light in the summer… :cowboy_hat_face:

Nice work with the Gull! I tried to include an eagle in a pano a while back, but since it appeared in multiple frames, it removed it when I stitched them in Lightroom. Great idea to capture it first! Love the tones in this and you just can’t go wrong with dramatic mountains and reflections!

Wonderful light and a stunning pano, Gary. Your panoramas are always outstanding and this is no exception. I really like the idea you used to include the gull in the sky; I’ll have to remember that one. This one works very well at keeping my eye moving around in it.

Gary, the range of light across this pano is amazing. The gull is very well positioned and a excellent addition for creating the sense of joy of watching a glorious sunset.