Time for a dust bath!

What technical feedback would you like if any? How do you like how I handled the shadows in this backlit scene? Please let me know of any other post processing techniques to deal with subdued contrast.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Comp OK?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 850mm (600mm f4 + 1.4TC; 1/1600 sec at f13, Iso 1250). Shadows bumped up, highlights lowered in Lightroom. Shadows and Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, and finished it with a Curves adjustment on the Midtone Luminosity Mask. This horned lark got into a dust bath and gave me lots of interesting poses from about 15 feet away. I wish that I was on the sunny side, but I think that this one works. What do you think?..Jim

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Wonderful behavior and in my neck of the woods I would say this is a very rare find. Excellent detail. Just a minor suggestion, I am finding a tad of a blue cast on all the limestone or Greystone’s the bird is sitting on.

1 Like

Very interesting behavior and good for you to get a nice shot of it. Also an interesting looking bird. I have never seen one and the horns are very distinct. Photo is nice and sharp and well done shooting into the light. One minor suggestion would be to give a little extra lighting to the facial and eye area. area.

1 Like

Hi Jim, very nice behavioral capture. Also a bird rarely seen in my area. I think you handled the difficult lighting well maintaining good details in the shadows.

1 Like

What a great behavioral shot, Jim. I never saw one doing this either. I guess if there is no water, you take a dust bath.

1 Like