Time Machine & Repost

Repost incorporating a bit of rotation and lowering shadows in the base of the foot to accentuate that part of the shape:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was poking around in older files and thought this was an interesting possibility for an abstract. We could play the guessing game here, but it’s from Dinosaur Tracks State Park in Texas. The tracks are in a river, the bed of which is slowly eroding through layers of track laid down during the era of the dinosaurs. The refracted light caused by the ripples put me in mind of the science fiction time warps depicted in movies and television.

Specific Feedback

Nothing in particular. I’m just interested in any reactions or suggestions for modifications.

Technical Details

I was too chicken to go wading in the river with either of my good cameras at the time, so this was taken with a Canon Powershot SX260 at f/4, 1/640, iso 100 (focal length shows as 7.5 mm, but I have no idea what the 35 mm equivalent was-just zoomed to get what I liked). I did some rotation and cropping in PS and used the old Topaz Detail plugin to accent the textures.

1 Like

Very cool! At first I thought it was fish. I love the colors and the ripple patterns. And I wouldn’t have any idea it was not from the latest and greatest rig. No suggestions!

Dennis, this is one of those types of images that always get my attention. I loved the multiple interpretations your image can generate. In particular, I really like those multiple ripples in the water. They are very pronounced on the right side of the frame. This is a captivating image.

I’ve heard of the state park you mentioned. It’s not very far from Austin, where I live. The actual park’s name is Dinosaur Valley State Park. It’s just southwest of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

That was a good move on your part. If you feel like experimenting more, I would suggest a bit of burning to accentuate the dinosaur track as it appears on the top section of the track. I’m also curious about the rotation you did. Did you try an angle rotation? I don’t know why, but to my eyes, a forty-five-degree rotation would probably give more of a motion feel to the image. Again, these are only suggestions for experimentation. The image is a fine abstract as is.

Thanks, @Egídio I did think about burning the back of the track a bit, but didn’t want to make things too obvious. Maybe I should try just a bit. I do think a bit of an angle might be a good idea. It’s a pretty small original without much room on the sides but content aware fill might stand up to it.

1 Like

Oh, very cool!! Dinosaur tracks and water reflections/ripples - what a two-fer! The rework is super.

Wow, Dennis! I really like the rework. That angle and diagonal lines going from the LLC to the URC create and interesting view in my eyes.

Fantastic work Dennis! Egidio provided some excellent recommendations about rotating the image and cropping. I love the reworked version. It’s interesting that my mind made out the dinosaur prints when I initially reviewed the image but I couldn’t see how that was possible. Water abstracts and fossil prints are just something we don’t see very often so it threw me for a loop. Great find and awesome image!

Nice, this is really neat and beautiful . Overall it has a great abstract look but then if one takes the time to study the image you get to see the track, the fish and the ripples and shimmer of the water. Overall a very pleasing image and I like the crop of the re-post because it just feels a little bit more balanced.