Jurassic Repose +RW

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In “Jurassic Repose,” I saw this massive rock looking like a dinosaur that decided to take a nap, right here on Forresters Beach. It seemed like a secret from the past, just stretched out and enjoying a break from time itself.

Specific Feedback

Happy for any feedback.

Technical Details

16 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄50sec at ƒ/10

OMG. It has a FACE. Obviously a previously undiscovered link between dinosaurs and sharks. Or something… I love the sky above and the sand below, and the burn at the base of the frame. I could see pulling out just a bit more shadow detail, if that can be balanced to keep the drama.

1 Like

I love the imagination in your title with regard to this image. This could be just about anything but with a title like that it makes the viewer look, and think, and try and come up with there own dinosaurs or for that matter, other creatures. The image is interesting in and of itself with or without the napping dino. This may just be me so take it with a grain of salt but the cloud above in the upper left seems a bit heavy to me and my jumps straight away to it. It may help to dodge it a bit but it may not either. It just feels heavy and dominant. Other than that, I like it as is.

1 Like

I like the photo a great deal. B&W is right for the subject. The sky , which I assume is a long exposure creates depth. I agree with the previous comment, a bit of dodging might be called for. Congratulations good pic.

1 Like

I don’t have a lot to add to the great thoughts and ideas above Saundie. The twists and turns on that rock really give it character, and I like the “in your face” composition. I agree with @Diane_Miller that the dark lower edge does a great job of helping to frame and focus the rock. I also agree that the dark cloud is a bit dominate and competes a bit with the rock.

1 Like

Thanks Diane love the idea of the link between dinosaurs and sharks. I will see how much I can pull out those shadows! :+1:

Thanks David, I agree there is a lot to see in this rock, I think the dinosaur is probably the most obvious for me. I’ll take a look at those clouds. Thanks again I appreciate the feedback! :+1:

Thanks Doug glad you like it, will have go at the dodging, :+1:

Thanks John, appreciate the feedback! :pray:

1 Like

@dgh @Diane_Miller @David_Haynes @John_Williams

I have made the changes as suggested, resulted in a better image all round thanks! :pray:

1 Like

Wonderful-er!!

1 Like

Thanks Diane! :pray:

Wow. Much better!!!

1 Like

Thanks David! The results of great critiquing, happy days! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like