Glimpses of a Jurassic time

Specific Feedback Requested

I really just want some general feedback on composition and some constructive criticism.

Technical Details

Shutter speed 1/1250
Aperture F/6
ISO 800

Manual mode / no flash

RAW format - processed in Lightroom

Beautiful light and colour Sarah! I really like your composition with the 3 main tree trunks. There are a few distractions along the sides that I would consider cropping out. I hope you don’t mind, but here is kind of what I was thinking:

Not at all, I really appreciate the feedback. It definitely looks better with that crop. Thank you!

Hi Sarah, Welcome bak to NPN. Nice to see this image. I like the comp very much and @Tom_Nevesely’s suggestion on crop works quite well too.

I think that since most of the image has that nice warm light we might want to warm up the areas of water where the blue sky is reflecting. One way might be to select the water and apply a warming filter. Or, use a soft opacity brush to brush some warmth into those areas. It might be a challenge to get it looking natural though. Just a thought.

Thanks David, I’ll give that a try. I quite liked the blue-green tones, but perhaps you are right. If I succeed with this edit, I’ll send the adjusted photo.

Hey Sarah! Looks like I missed this one earlier, my apologies. I totally agree with Tom that some of those edge distractions needed to be cropped, and that’s a huge improvement. I would still try a couple things:

For one, I would lower contrast and luminosity of that background mossy tree along the left edge, as it draws my attention away from the primary lit trees. For that matter, I would also do a bit of the same to the whole backdrop to its right, just above the short tree.

I would also darken and/or desaturate the cyan stripe of bright water, as it’s a bit distracting.

Lastly, I would vignette a bit more on the top, right , and bottom edges, to hem in the composition and bring our focus more to the main subjects. And you could try cropping a little off the bottom to bring it back to the original aspect ratio after the crops off the sides.

Otherwise I think the image works really nicely! Suggested changes below, starting with Tom’s crop as a base:

Wow, it’s amazing what a difference those small changes make to the image. Thanks so much for this wonderfully constructive critique.

1 Like