Tiny Falls

Recent heavy rains have brought many woodland streams back to life, which often create mini waterfalls when going downhill. This one looked like a little “Niagara” to me.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I’m never sure as to how slow I should portray the water flow, but I do want to retain some detail rather than have all “cotton” in the image. All comments and suggestions welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Fuji X-H2, Fujinon XF 16-80mm @ 88mm (35mm equiv.), ISO 64, f/22, 1/4s, tripod, no ND filters needed.

2 Likes

I would consider this a challenging subject, because the top is full of leaves, and the bottom corner has rocks and branches that don’t lead into the subject. They distract me from the falls. But nature is what it is, so I would try to work around it. I might first try very tight crops looking for an abstract. Failing that, I would try to deemphasize the corner by darkening and lowering contrast, perhaps I would clone out some objects in the leaves so they are a more even pattern. But I see why you shot this way. The leaves are there like it or not, and the falls behind the rock are nice.

I think the exposure time is very subjective, so one just uses what they like, and my preference is irrelevant.

1 Like

That is definitely my first feeling when viewing the photo. At first glance, I thought this was a larger waterfall. Then the context made it clear it was not. However, the grandeur of much larger falls was still there – just on a smaller scale. Great image!

@Michael_Jones and @Matthew_Roberge , thank you both for taking time to comment on my image. Michael, I tightened the crop to remove most of the leaves and cloned out the darn stick which I hadn’t notice; both added strength to the image.

1 Like