Tiny Guys

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In late winter the Santa Cruz mountains burst with mushrooms. In my neck of the woods primarily these Mycean species. They are tiny, not getting bigger than an inch in total height.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon D850, Nikon 105mm f/2.8 Macro, f22, 4 sec, ISO 100. Minimal processing in ACR and PS CC

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Neat find. Not many take the time to photograph LBMs, but this is a nice example. The nearest one looks as if the stipe is getting eaten away and so fragile. The three in a line works well, but I wish the dark diagonal stick was gone and the light bit at the top of the frame. It’s hard to clean up these scenes and it usually takes me a few times before the subject is clearer in the frame. Super tan tones and earthy goodness.

These little guys are cute!! Forging their way in the big world! Interesting stipe, as @Kris_Smith pointed out. I really like the composition, with the three in slightly different stages and the soft light on the topmost one. Their color stands out well against the fallen redwood leaves. Although it is somewhat hidden behind your signature, I also think you could remove the white piece at the top, or burn it down to brown if that is more within your ethics. I would also burn down the bright stick leaving the frame on the right. In any case, a wonderful mini-scene of life unbothered by our world.

Youssef, this is a very inviting forest floor close-up. The warm tones throughout and the sharpness fading into the distance give these three good presence.