Toad-Shade Trillum #1

Image Description

I found this flower blooming just off trail at a local nature preserve. To get low, I mounted my camera on my tripod upside down. I used used a diffuser to even out the tree filtered light from overhead and a flash to illuminate the flower.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I would like your feedback on how you would critique this photo if you were judging it in a competition.

I’m always looking for ways to improve, All suggestions / critiques are welcomed.

I didn’t know about stacking when I took this photograph. Today, I believe that I would photograph this in a stack.

Technical Details

Canon 5D Mark IV | ef100 Macro lens | f32 | 1/125s | ISO 100 | light diffuser | flash with a soft-box
ACR and Photoshop

Wow!! Wonderful subject, even more wonderful composition, fantastic lighting… what did I leave out? I love it!!

1 Like

I agree with @Diane_Miller, Alfredo. Absolutely stunning!

I’m probably not the best person to judge more formal flower photography but for me this looks nicely captured. The composition is nice, although the black triangle in the bottom right could be seen as a bit distracting. The lighting is nicely balanced - perhaps a small directional light to help bring a little more dynamism into the lighting (minor and, as I say I’m not expert in this sort of photography).

Tim,
Thank you for your input. I’m always looking for ways to improve my photos and your comments have given me ideas on how to approach a similar photo differently .

Thank you Diane!

Thank you Linda

1 Like