Todays Weather

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Just having fun dealing with the first snow of @024

2 Likes

Hi Steve, you made a very intriguing picture! My first impression was a painting of Joan Miro with his scribbles drawings. The spiderlike ‘things’ who want to invade and take over a white shape-like body. You can tell a whole story with one picture. Very well done, this is the meaning of abstract to me.

Well done, Steve! This is a great example of abstract. I love the mystery of those spidery things. Wouldn’t change a thing.

Thanks Guys

I love this image. I agree that this is a true abstract. I think you have the right amount of light vs dark space for good balance. The white ‘leaf’ entering from the lower right frame provides good visual tension. I’m glad it’s there. The dark gradient in the top left corner seems a bit out of place but if that were solid white it might affect the balance. The spiders are wonderful.

Great visual design and story telling with this abstract image! Agree with what Igor mentioned. I love how the ice spiders seem to be pushing against the white object from nearly all directions. Great work!

Thanks again
the “spiders” are where natural springs are hitting the surface of the ice.
Water comes from underground where it is much warmer and melts the ice and snow.
Steve

Steve,

This is fantastic! Terrific, natural abstract. In fact it’s a bit of a mind bender. I get the impression I’m looking UP, or looking through this abstract (as opposed to looking down on a surface of water.)
Also, I’m intrigued by the lone spider pattern near the top - like it’s an inverted repeat of the other patterns. And honestly, I don’t know what’s frozen, clear or waht. I’m assuming the white is snow on top of the slushy ice? Doesn’t really matter. the end result is fascinating!

Only suggestion perhaps cleaning up some of the dark specs in the ULC; but that might be too much since you’d have to do that throughout. No biggie.

Well seen and presented!

Lon