Too Understated?

Hi All,

Hope everyone is fairing well during these very difficult times.

I have been spending some of my mornings at a nearby inlet within walking distance and have an image that I would appreciate input on. Normally like most photographers I usually am post processing for impact even though I dont post on IG and really only take photos for my and my families enjoyment.

So for something different I processed this in a very understated manner. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe.

Pat
(pjms27) Instagram

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Pat, this is an absolutely gorgeous, painterly scene. I really like the “quiet” light. The only feedback/change I would consider is that the rocks on the shore at the right side of the frame are a little distracting to my eye. You might consider cropping in from the right or burning down that area to make it less noticeable.

Take care and stay healthy!

Adam

Pat, I like the light and pastel muted color look in the image. I am not bothered by the rocks on the right. I think they add to the visual flow of the image by creating a nice curve right to left. I also like the blurry water. There’s a nice mood here. I would clone out the bench or whatever that is. Also there are three sensor dirt spots in the water to remove. I’d say you had a successful walk.

Not understated at all for my taste. I agree with Adam about the rocks on the right. If you do crop them you’ll need to adjust with other crops. I wouldn’t crop the left because that lit tree in the ulc is really important.

This is not too understated at all. It’s quite lovely. I agree with the previous comments re the rocks in the LRC. They are a visual weight down there, and you might consider a crop from that side. The little fenced area doesn’t bother me - it’s part of the scene.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to provide valuable input.

I have gone back and forth on the rocks and have cropped them out and then added them in…I left them in the copy to share with you as I did think as Larry pointed out they act as a leading line of sorts to pull you around to the object of the scene which is the white cherry blossoms which originally got my attention.

As to the bench which is a viewing area, I originally liked it because it was part of the scene but I did remove it and like it better without.

Still working on the spot removal. I dont have my sensor cleaning swaps and fluid with me so I had to work with my dirty sensor till I get back home in Eugene. My spot removal skills are “in development” so nothing to show you today…more to follow but again I really appreciate your input.!

Pat I do not think this is too understated either, sometimes subtle color speaks louder than bold in-your-face colors. The soft light here is really nice, and helps create a calm mood in this image. It’s the soft quality of light, and the delicate colors that attract me in this image. Last year I wrote an article here at NPN, “The Colors of Spring” that discussed the understated beauty of spring foliage. If you hadn’t read it previously, it might be worth a look. Here is a link.

I do agree with the others about the rock in the LRC. The sharp texture of those rocks competes with the otherwise softer feeling in the rest of the image.

1 Like

Colors and scene look great. I played with a crop of the rocks and suggested above and I find the composition far more engaging and dynamic as posted. I would clone out the fencing but otherwise, looks great.

Ed,

Thanks for your comments and input. I really enjoyed and appreciated your article thanks for sharing.

As to the “rocks” I think your comment resonated with me that it is the sharp edge texture of the rocks that seems out of place. I cropped them in the attached image but am also open to other ideas as to how to reduce their impact and to keep the ratio of my original image?

I like your crop. I felt it important to not cut that tree in the ulc, but then you lose some of the reflections. I think maybe I like yours better.

Pat,
The understated processing was definitely the way to go with this image as the soft subtle lighting reinforces the delicate mood you captured here. I think if you had went with something bold and splashy that would have destroyed the mood. I hope you don’t mind, but I did a crop of the rocks on the right along with a bit of the water along the bottom. For me that emphasizes the things I like best; that is the reflection, the tree toward the ULC and the white flowered bushes. Really fantastic mood here!

Pat,

Beautiful. Indeed understated. Perfectly. I just love your results here.

The rocks, yeah, probably better without, but you’ve at least included enough of them to know that it’s not an oversight. Cropping just off the right would remove them of course, but then you’d be left with an odd format/ratio. Then again… wonder what a square crop would do. Initially I agree with Igor in the importance of that nicely lit tree in the UL, but in playing with the crop I tried to mitigate that with a little burning and drawing down that brightness. also added a slight vignette.
also a little sharpening since the full size version was there for downloading (tip then, if you’re concerned about your file, then maybe just upload something sized at like 1500px)

The scene is most certainly worthy of experimenting. Your initial approach is beautiful as presented. Here’s an alternate