Tranquility

This is an old image from a scanned 35 mm slide taken many years ago in the Olympia National Park.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

any and all are always welcomed

Technical Details

Slide was scanned with Nikon Cool pix scanner

James, a beautiful scene, aptly named, and well-captured. Did you mean Olympic NP in WA? This must be from the Hoh Rainforest, I’m guessing. Enjoying all the details in the moss covered rocks. I would like a little fill light on the scene, but that’s just me.

1 Like

Hi, James. What a tranquil scene you shared here with us. Your photo is lush and serene. I could almost hear the water cascading down those smooth and moss-covered rocks.

It is remarkable what technology can do these days. You did a great job in converting the slide to a digital format. I like the overall composition and edits. The waterfall right below the URC seems somewhat oddly placed and introduces distracting highlights almost causing that area to be the main focus of your image. However, a different crop wouldn’t seem to make the image more fluid unless there were more elements to the right of that waterfall not included here or if you could have moved to your left when you captured the image. What I am envisioning would be making the crop with the falls and bright rock right below it the center focus of your image. The ferns on the left would still be present and provide a good balance for the entire scene. Naturally, this is wishful thinking on my part. These are mere suggestions that could have made the image much stronger than it is already.

Having experienced the beauty and lush views in Olympic NP, I know images can be quite impressive, such as yours. I do think, though, that the blue hues in the waterfall seem a bit saturated, especially in the lower section of the falls near the bottom of the image. I would suggest you experiment with reducing those blue hues. The light on the moss-covered rocks is amazingly beautiful. This image is very typical of what one finds in Olympic NP. I’m glad you restored that slide and shared it here.

1 Like

I appreciate your comments and detailed critique . The setting was at the top of the Sol Duc Falls and i used a 200mm lens to extract segments of the landscape. I was a bit limited in my movement since I was shooting from a bridge.

1 Like

You’re welcome. No wonder that looked so familiar. Sol Duc is a magical place.