Transformation

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the transition of the trees/bushes in the images from smaller to larger as well as cloud patterns that to me implied transformation. I am sure there is a lot that could be improved as I am new to landscape photography and hence my request for input.

Creative direction

I personally prefer a softer/dreamier look for an image but as I am still trying to develop my photographic voice, I am more than open to any input.

Specific Feedback

I am wide open on input be it aesthetic, conceptual, emotional or technical.

Technical Details

1/800 sec at f/8.0, ISO 100. I used LR Classic applying David Kingham’s techniques and Photoshop relying on some of Blake Rudis’s techniques/panels to process the image.

Description

It was a sunny and windy afternoon and I went to a friend’s farm seeing what caught me eye as I begin to delve into intimate landscape imagery.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

Hi Bill, welcome to NPN! I appreciate the info you shared in the self critique section. Landscape photography is about relationships and connections. I can see why you wanted to include the clouds in your image. They help convey the story about transformation. The same is true of the smaller brushes and the large tree as they too have a relationship and communicate differences in scale as well as transformation. The fence posts have a good repeating pattern to them. Aesthetically and technically, this is a fine image. I’ll touch on creativity in my closing paragraph.

The monochrome edit fits the scene well which helps elevate the shapes of the tree branches and the luminosity of the clouds stand out more with this type of edit. The tonal range works well with just enough blacks (zones 1 and 2 in the Ansel zone system) to give weight to the image. Glad you didn’t go overboard with the contrast.

Overall the balance of the image feels right despite the large tree being placed on the far right. It works because of the other elements on the left. Plus the framing you provided is line with the story of transformation you wanted to express.

In your description, you mentioned diving more into intimate landscape imagery and seeing what caught your eye. I’m glad you brought that up. How we respond to the landscape is an important and often overlooked aspect to photography. If you wanted to create a more engaging intimate landscape image, I would encourage you to look closer. Take for example that large tree on the right. Next time you’re out in the field, take some time study the lines and shapes of the branches. Walk around the tree and study how the light changes. Fill the frame with abstract shapes. Get up higher and avoid including the sky to just focus on the tree against a hillside for example. If it’s a windy day, try out some long exposures just on the branches. Try some intentional camera movment or multiple exposures. Let curiosity be your guide. More often than not, you’ll discover a certain framing that makes you stop. Let me know if you have any questions on what I have suggested here. Thanks for sharing your image.

1 Like

Thank you Alfredo! I sincerely appreciate your time and input! I am going out to shoot today and will try your suggestions. and I appreciate your offer to answer questions I have. You made my day! :-))

First off welcome to NPN Bill. This B&W image has a nice range of tones and is a wonderful first post. The transition of smaller trees to larger ones you mentioned works nicely and I love the graceful curves of those clouds. My only suggestion would be a crop of some of the sky as it is empty and I think that would help the viewer focus more on all the good stuff in the bottom 2/3rds of this wonderful scene. I hope you do not mind, but here is a repost with what I was thinking. I hope to see more of your work as well as commenting on other photographer’s images.

Bill, welcome to NPN! It is a wonderful place and we are happy to have you here. I encourage you to jump in both on posting images and sharing your critiques of others, we are all here to help each other!

@Ed_Lowe and @Michael_Lowe I feel like the missing Lowe brother with how frequently I type “I agree with Ed” or “I agree with Michael”…!!! My first thought when I saw this was to crop it into a panorama as well. I think it emphasizes the left to right flow of the image & keeps the whole scene interesting by removing some of the more blank sky at the top. If you are going for a dreamier look/feel, one thing you could consider would be to lift the blacks a little, especially in the foreground here, that can have an effect of “softening” the image a little bit.

@Alfredo_Mora has given some excellent recommendations as well. I tend to shoot a lot of “intimate” images as we don’t have many grand scenes in Ohio. I would encourage you to study some of the photographers out there who do this really really well (Alfredo being one of them!). If you are interested in some suggestions I’d be happy to share some of my favorites, you may have some of your own already though.

Thank you Ed! I don’t mind at all that you repost with your proposed changes to the image. A picture is indeed worth a 1,000 words. I can appreciate why the image was cropped in. It’s great to get constructive input from people’s work that I like and not chase likes on social media.

Thank you David! It’s great to be welcomed into a community of photographers. I will try to lift the blacks a little especially in the foreground. Once I finish tweaking the image I will repost it. I really like your portfolio and I also really admire the intimate landscapes/abstracts that @Alfredo_Mora creates. The main impetus for me exploring intimate landscapes was the work of @David_Kingham but I will contact you for other photographers/artists whose work you enjoy.

1 Like

I incorporated input from @Alfredo_Mora , @Ed_Lowe and @David_Wallace . Many thanks for their input and expertise! In addition to cropping the image and lowering the blacks, I applied an Orton Effect. The Orton Effect further “softened” the image as well as adding to the story of transformation as transformation is indeed fluid and often cyclical.

1 Like

Thank you Bill! I’m liking the edits to the image. Nice work.

1 Like

Welcome Bill! I really like those sweeping clouds above the fence line, so the crop works for me as well.

1 Like