Transition

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m not sure if this is abstract enough, given that one could probably discern what the subject is.

Technical Details

2 Likes

Hi, Alan. I am a big fan of color, whether soft and gentle or strong and bold. The pastel-like colors are very calming in the photo you captured. The overall feeling I get is one of peace. Visually, the transitions presented in the photo get my eyes to explore the different hues and try to imagine what could be hiding behind the vegetation. As for the issue you raised, I would like to ask you whether an abstract scene was your goal. Based on the fact you posted it in this category, I am guessing your answer will be yes. The image is soft and pleasing, but I don’t find it abstract in its presentation. Nevertheless, that does not take away the fact that it is a nice image.

2 Likes

I agree with @Egídio here - the image is not super abstract, although I still find it pleasing!
It feels a bit right heavy to me but perhaps that was your intent. Cheers!

1 Like

Alan, I would consider this an abstract image. By definition, abstract photography “may involve the use of color, light, shadow, texture, shape and/or form to convey a feeling, sensation or impression” (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_photography).

Your image conveys a feeling of calm and a sensation of a waking dream which is fantastic. I enjoyed the warm colors behind the trees. Well done!

1 Like

I am really drawn to this image. Like others have said it imparts a sense of calmness to me, between the soft colors and overall softness in texture.

1 Like

Hi Alan, it’s a pleasing image. The soft hues and tones really bring a “calming” feel to the image. I wonder if ICM may have given you the abstract image you were looking for?

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughtful comments, Egidio!

1 Like

Thanks Matt. I agree that this image is not that abstract. I deliberately changed the orientation so that the tree is on the right because I felt that it would be a more natural fit with how we tend to look at things, i.e. from left to right.

1 Like

Thanks Alfredo!

Thanks Dean!

Thanks Nick. I’m quite sure using ICM would have made the image more abstract, but to be honest, I was trying to avoid it as a rather obvious and, in my mind, common technique for abstraction.

2 Likes

All good! Nothing wrong with that! I think maybe the only thing you could have done differently is put this in another category here on NPN. :joy:

Alan,

Great eye to spot this. Love the colors and the fact that you’ve isolated just this reflection - no other reference - no shore, no sky, nothing else. And for that alone I think this certaly qualifies as a natural abstract. Sure, it’s recognizable, but it’s simply abstract by definition as others have pointed out. In fact, I would say there are some bigger crops here that would further emphasize the abstractness of the scene. The broader view allows for the tree itself to become known…

The other observation for me is that there is almost a dividing line between the upper and lower halves. What I mean is that I had to pause and wonder, is the bottom the reflection of the top? Which is the reflection and is part of it real? Clearly upon closer view, it’s all reflection, but as one steps back, I don’t think it’s that clear. So, there’s also the element of mystery to this.

Well seen and beautifully captured. Oh, only nitpick, I would clone out a couple of the stronger red leaf and then there’s a brigh “floater” on the LR area. But both are pretty minor.

Lon

1 Like

Thank you for your keen observations and comments, Lon. I actually find it pleasing that there hasn’t been consensus about whether or not this is an abstract image. I think abstraction is meant to ask more questions than it answers.

2 Likes

Definitely not an abstract. If this is an abstract then all of Eliot Porters work is abstract. And since he coined his work to be intimate landscapes then that’s what this is.

Call it what you want it’s still the same image. I suspect that this was categorized as such because there are areas that are out of focus? Thus giving an impressionic look to it and thus not real? (Incidentally there is a misconception about the Impressionists. They actually were after reality).

I like the color scheme in this image. I also like the tree but would prefer it not enter from the corner of the frame. I also think this would looke better with everything in sharp focus.

Thank you for your frank opinions. I wanted to convey the gradual changing of the seasons - the bare branches of the tree blending into autumnal hues. This is why I chose softer tones. Sharpening the image would not serve my intention.

1 Like