Tree Line

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Two versions presented - I ended up prefering the first as leading to the sunlit patch more clearly, but wonder what others think.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7D, 10-22 @ 10, 1/500 @ f9, ISO 250

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

A scene at Lyme Park in Cheshire - an old English country estate.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is the second version

I think you’ve mastered this scene. The tree on the right looks so alive. But it’s a lead in to the distant land beyond.

Ian, I agree. In the first version, that tiny person adds a lot with respect to pulling my eyes along the path to the bit of sunlight. In the second version, the emphasis on the trees works well, but there’s a sense of emptiness between the trees and the sunlight. I think the subtle lighting change in the foreground also helps the first version. As an aside, with the new software, you can include two (or more) images in the same post, that lets the viewer arrow back and forth between the versions in the larger view, for a more direct comparison.

A beautiful scene, Ian. I like the first image best as well. I think Mark hit it, the tiny person helps pull my eyes into the scene. I think the lighting works better in that one as well. Nice scene, and captured so well.

I like the first scene because of the little person but I like the tree in the second scene because it adds more to the perspective. The processing on the cloud in the first scene is a little more dramatic.