Tree of Life

Once more: I’m a big fan of Mr Porter. In fact, I’m such a fan that I make Porter like images without even being aware of it. Here is one. You will notice a greenish tint to the image. This has been done purposefully. The tree actually has that color. It does so in order to photosynthesize light in the stem itself rather than the leaves. This reduces the water loss you get with leaves. Most desert plants do this but not trees.

You will also notice that I’ve chosen to reduce the overall contrast. What do you think of that? The idea was to emphasize the detail in the trunk and branches. I also wanted to play the white tree off the green tree, it’s alter ego.

All suggestions are welcome. This was shot on a day following a storm in order to avoid harsh light. The desert here is full of subtle compositions but the brightness hides much of it.

GFX50R, 45-100mm

7 Likes

Igor, I think you scored on all counts here. This is a terrific image. You really have to see the larger image to truly appreciate the detail and depth. I found my eye wandering all over the image looking for that detail. Wonderful image.

1 Like

This is really nice. I like your naturalist description of what’s going on. Is Mr Porter a great photographer? I’ll have to look him up because I like this style.

He’s one of the great ones. And he’s been very influential. David has a comment where he flips through the images in his book.

https://community.naturephotographers.network/t/intimate-landscapes-by-elliot-porter/23570

Alfred Stieglitz featured two photographers in his art gallery in NYC. One was Ansel Adams and the other was Eliot Porter. That’s how good he was.

2 Likes

Igor, really like this image. Especially the back ground white tree and how it interacts with the foreground tree.

A real interesting image to ponder, Igor. Kind of Porterish. For some reason, the white base of the tree really bothers me. Every time I look at the image, I find myself staring at it. It almost looks like a sitting dog to me. The rest of the white tree works well in the scene for me.

A beautiful image Igor! I love the centered composition and how the branches of the tree fill the entire frame. The lower contrast works for me in this case, so I have no problems with that.

1 Like

Once again, Igor, there wasn’t much doubt in my mind as to who was responsible for the chaotic elegance of this image. It is curious to use the word elegant simultaneously with the word chaotic and yet that is why I am drawn to this picture. There is something extraordinarily sensuous about the green of the tree. It feels more like skin than bark. And, of course, I’m a sucker for fractal iteration, which is so dramatically displayed here. I think your choice to reduce contrast is consistent with what you seem to be aiming for in this picture.

1 Like

Igor, this is a fine, intimate look at this tree. The white tree behind does an outstanding job of setting off your main subject. There’s a "frilly softness to the main tree from all of it’s small brances that is balanced well by the clarity of the bits on the ground below. Yes, definitely a sense of Elliot Porter.

At the risk of dating myself – definitely Porter-ish. The soft contrast works for me to control the chaos. A palo verde?

The white skeleton behind is definitely Porter!

Eliot Porter was the first photograph book i looked at because my mother was a big fan of his Maine photographs. At that time in my life I was shooting sports not landscape - but I would like to think Porter has subliminally been with me all these years. All that said, I love this image - the green bark does it for me (next to the white - wow!) and the simple yet complex subject - which Porter did so well (and now you!).

@Diane_Miller, @raven, @Mario_Cornacchione, @Harley_Goldman, @David_Bostock, @Tom_Nevesely, @amy10, @Mark_Seaver, @Kerry_Gordon

Thank you for your comments. Glad to hear there was an agreement that this does indeed look Eliot Porteresque.

@Igor_Doncov , Igor thank you for bringing the attention to Eliot Porter. It gives me a lot of ideas and puts me to work again after a small dip, I hope . :grinning: