Tree

Same tree, different framing

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was bracketing shots of this tree. When I looked at the thumbnails, I realized I liked the over-exposed images best, so I pushed things in that direction when processing the image. I tend to think the one in landscape orientation works better than the one in portrait orientation, partly because the tree wasn’t quite straight.

Specific Feedback

I’m interested in first reactions, e.g., it grabs me or it doesn’t. Tact isn’t necessary. All comments will be appreciated.

Technical Details

ISO 250, f/5.6, 1/125th

1 Like

It doesn’t grab me in an artistic sense, but in a documentary way that speaks of drought, harsh conditions and survival. It makes me think of a tree as a haven for all manner of living things and how important they are whether still upright like this one, or fallen and done with their own lives to support others.

Thanks, Kristen.

I like the kind of high key treatment of the first one, Don, but the second composition is much more interesting. The first is just a steep angle looking up at a tree. The second gives the form of the tree a lot more emphasis and it’s an interesting form with cool textures that keeps my attention.

Sincere thanks for the feedback, Dennis.