Tri-colored Heron - Silhouette vs Standard

As much as I like the regular sunset on this Tri-colored heron, i gave the silhouetted version a shot.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

In processing the darks in the silhouetted version, have I brought up the darks too much ? Getting “brown” - the original colors with nice light on it also shown

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any creative version of this silhouetted bird ?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Enjoyable light in both images. I like the pinkish highlights on the water in the silhouette image. Nice warm glow in the second.

1 Like

Love everything about the second. Bird is sharp, light is really nice, you have a great pose for the bird, nice low angle.

Love the idea and action captured in the first, but I think the entire exposure could come down. It would give more color and detail to the water, and I think I’d rather the bird be darker. It’d also highlight the rim lighting on the fish.

1 Like

I guess my thoughts would mirror Lyle’s. You caught a excellent pose on the second one with good detail. Catching the fish makes the first one and I could see trying to darken the image.

1 Like

Hello, Karl - both are pretty nice, though different shots. It seems however that the back-lit shot got quite some noise reduction, since the feathers seem to lack any detail, at least on my screen. Probably I’d go for the suggestion to darken it and make it a real silhouette shot, could work out fine, since the flying fish is the eye catcher anyway and that will remain. Second shot is a classic, but nevertheless very nice as well ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like