Red Heron

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another late evening at the Colusa NWR in Northern California. This great blue heron was looking for a late dinner.

Specific Feedback

I really liked the silhouette and the hazy late light from the sun going down behind the bird. I’m not sure this is abstract enough for this category, so if it needs to be moved, that is fine.

Technical Details

canon 5DMiii, f8, 1/2500 sec, iso 2000, -1EV, 100-400/1.4TC at 280 mm.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Ed, lovely image! Yes, I would recommend moving it to the bird category. I can do that if that’s ok with you. Thanks.

Thats fine Alfredo. Thank you.

Thanks Ed. Image critique moved to the Avian channel.

Ed, this is a real eye opener here. It’s one of those scenes that fits a couple categories and works fine in either. The heron silhouette is very noticeable and makes the scene work as is.

The sunset colors are striking. I like how the top of the vegetation stands out in the yellow light and there’s a bird in the scene. What’s not to like? Excellent capture.

Thank you @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Allen_Brooks. I really wasn’t sure with all of the hazy red in this if it would come across well.