Gone Fishing

This Tri-Color was very much interested in lunch, and not me. I took this last year at Huntington Beach State Park in Murrells Inlet, SC. It was in the afternoon, so the lighting was harsh. I did use the polarizing filter, which helped some. I also burned and dodged some in editing.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you can suggest.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any. I know I was up above out on a board walk, so even though I got down low, I was still above him. I like the reflection from that angle though.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 7D II, Canon 100-400 mm L lens, handheld. Settings manual at f6.3, 1/640, ISO 320.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I think this turned out well. I like the overall composition-the position of the heron in the frame, the curve of the grass, the water movement, and the reflection. Good detail.

1 Like

Shirley: Very nice image of the heron. Nice job working with the light you had. Yes, in a perfect world being lower would have been nice, but doesn’t sound like it was a real option.

1 Like

Nice reflection image, Shirley, with excellent detail and you subdued the harsh lighting nicely. Maybe I should invest in a polarizer. I like the little curve of vegetation and the plumage variation is one I haven’t seen before. While the angle is a bit steep, the does give you the nice reflection, so it doesn’t bother me and I know how it is at refuges-it can be impossible to get low and still be responsible in following the rules.