Fishing on the Columbia 2

Same heron. I like how it suddenly turned to snag a small flounder leaving its legs crossed.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7D II; 100/400 @ 400; 7.1; iso 400; 1/1600th; spot; WB daylight

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Another great shot of the heron surf fishing, Jim. I would prefer that the breaking wave weren’t behind it, but the action more than makes up for that minor issue. The head splash is great and I never had a clue they could pivot around like that. They’re usually so focused on what’s in front of them, that it never occurred to me they’d do this.

I echo Dennis’s thought about the breaking wave but I love this. I like being able to see the “crest” of the heron before it goes right into the water. Very well done!

Dennis, it never occurred to me either until I saw it. The wave does distract a bit. Thanks for the critique. Hope all is well on the other side of the mountains.

Thank you for your comments.

Good job in catching what must have been a quick movement. For me, the splash about the head and the crossed legs (never seen this either) makes this photo and tells the story.

Actually, as this is an environmental/behavioral image, I don’t mind the wave. Well composed. The waves add to the comp and texture of the water. I do think one could reduce the highlights on the white plumage of the head and neck by half a stop.

Very unique pose with the crossed legs, Jim. This is one of those images where the absence of the eye makes the image better. I like the action presented here with the spraying water drops and all the waves.